EGR VALVE

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by tof73, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Hi, After having the usual "Check injection" and check emission on the dash, i have checked my glow plugs and they were all good.
    So decided to go for a diagnostic at the garage which was £34 and the EGR valve came back as a fault.

Does this mean that it need a good clean or is it dead?

A new one cost about £170 from renault, but i am wondering just to dismantle and clean would that be ok and sort the issue?

Also if i change the egr valve on a 2.0 dci do you have to map it in so it is recognized by the ecu or is it plug and play?

• Does anybody got any experience of this issue please?

2. I haven't experienced this problem on a Megane, but I have on a diesel Astra. You would be surprised how much soot buids up in the EGR. I'd give cleaning it a go first, nothing to be lost by trying. Typically the soot builds up and stops the valve operating. It may have been damaged and burnt out the actuator / motor, but you may be lucky and find it's just jammed.

I'd personally take it off, give it a good cleaning out with a solvent, I used jizzer, be careful not to force it open, and see if that works.

You can buy partial blanks online which reduce the amount of gas coming through the EGR but leave enough coming through to prevent an emissions light coming on. This would prolong the life of the EGR.

3. EGR valve is plug and play. No coding needed or anything.

S.

4. I changed mine on the 175. Easy enough but access is poor and I ended up removing the bumper/IC to get the pipe clear to get on it ok.

It is a part available for other cars so search the part number in eBay etc.

Got a 2015 production date unit from a breaker off eBay which was shiney fresh clean for £25.

Buy yourself new gaskets too!

You'll need three. Two of them are £7 each. One is about £4. Main dealer only.

RS 175 Cup Lux

5. In addition to all that. Sometimes it's gunked up and stops the valve closing or opening correctly which flags the error! A good clean can resolve.

In my case it turned out to be a failed EGR cooler which leaked coolant and gunked the valve. So I had to buy a new cooler and full coolant change too.

RS 175 Cup Lux