EDC into RS250 ? Possible ?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Starter-Motors, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Hi Guys
    Does anyone know of anybody that has successfully fitted some form of EDC gearbox to an RS250 ? An engineer friend feels there is no issue being actually able to attach a gearbox, even a non Renault one but the issue would be with the ecu. Any info would be appreciated

Steve

2. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

Hi Steve
    I have sort of looked into this idea, is is possible going to work out a bit expensive to do, but doable.

Using a Audi box and running a separate ecu linked to the Renault ecu seems the way to go.

Price for the ecu's alone was £1k, drive shafts need to be altered, a LSD for the Audi box, adapter plates etc, etc, etc and then there is the time setting things up on a rolling road.

3. Is there no way the Clio or meg4 boxes could be used?

4. Thanks for the response.
    I was think about a Seat Cupra box with the LSD already in there. Did you find anyone that did the ECU or any info on how to wire it up ? adapter plates and fitting won’t be a problem. Be interesting to know how many would be interested if I could do it and then supply to others as a roll in, 3 day, roll out package I’m definitely tempted. If I could do it for 3 or 4K I would do it !
    I think it wouod be a totally different car !
    Steve

5. ianplymouth

I have spoken to Chris at EFI about doing this modification, originally fitting the Audi box as it is stronger for running a lot more power on a Megane, he runs an Audi box on he drag R5 turbo, he says the box is notchy'r and noisier than the Renault box but are stronger.

Then i asked if a manual box can be fitted can a EDC box be fitted, he said he can supply the ECU and from what i gathered from him is that its plug and play, but needs setting up with the Renault ECU, he already has adapter plates for the manual Audi box, so it would be interesting to know if the mounting is the same.

If you could do it with the Cupra box with a Lsd fitted that would save some money.

6. ianplymouth

What Cupra has the EDC box in it ????

7. No Cupra has the EDC box. That’s a Renault term. The Seat has DSG

8. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. I can’t see how the ECU can be plug and play though considering there will be about 11 wires that need to be wired into the Renault ( clocks, brake pedal etc ) unless it replaces what may be there for the manual gearbox

Steve