265 Easiest way to check for over revs by myself?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Kaizu, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Hello guys,

New member here with a RS265 in Finland. Sorry for dumb question as I have zero knowledge.

Some background: I drive a fully modded 996TT RWD 600HP track car, and now added also a Megane RS265 for some easy and cheap trackday fun. Could be a good car to promote track driving as a hobby to my friends...!!

Engine is stock, but suspension, cage, brakes and tires done. What is the easiest way for me to check the car does not get over revs if I lend it to friends to use on track days? What sort of OBD2-reader should I purchase, or what could be a good easy system for this? Looking for affordable and easiest solution.

Also, if you have more knowledge, e.g. a RPM limit in mind where my friends should begin to pay money for reduced engine life (if they don't do a full money shift and blow out everything :tongueout:), let me know... I am generous to my friends but you all understand that I want to avoid any sort of "I didn't money shift, it wasn't me" talks if something bad happens.

Thanks for any info.

2. Can't an engine mapper introduce a lower rev limiter and even drop the boosts little to safe guard the engine?

3. I am just wondering do I see the over revs from simple OBD2 readers with this car?

A lower rev limiter does not help if someone accidentally shifts to second gear from high speed...! :tongueout:

4. I think that kind of logging has to be programmed into the ECU and then you'd need the pid code to read it on an ODB reader if indeed you could read the info over the ODB connection.

Fit a video camera and tell them to leave it recording? Other than that, I wouldn't let someone drive mine without being there :smiley: