E10 petrol misfire

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Harry250, Dec 11, 2021.

1. Hi guys, my cars been misfiring under load , engine management light on and stuff - been to the garage and they’ve decided it’s the e10 petrol that’s causing it, they’ve said it must have been bad quality fuel.

I’ve topped the last half of the tank up with e5 and it’s misfiring less, and the engine light has gone away… anyone got any ideas?

2. Run it on super unleaded only.

3. Do you think it is the fuel? The mechanic only plugged it in and didn’t check anything else, code was p0313

4. Has it been remapped?

5. Not that I know of? My mate had the same car as me and his was mapped, pulls much much harder than mine

6. The octane rating is poor on the e10 and hearing loads of reports of poor running on other cars. Use super unleaded only

7. Maybe depend about the country. I use E10, sometimes not, and I don´t notice any issue. But just in case, from now I´ll put whitout ethanol.

Harry250 likes this.
  8. The octane rating is the same (95).

It's possible, but I highly doubt it was caused by a fuel issue. Sounds like the garage don't know so have just blammed the e10 fuel as that's the talk of the town these days.

Harry250 likes this.
  9. Super unleaded is 97+ octane, 99 being the norm for tesco and shell vpower.

95 octane is crap for a performance engine, the ecu will pull timing if it dets.

10. That's nothing to do with e10 though. Before e10 was e5, which was also 95, but the super unleaded stuff hasn't been touched and stays e5 or some are even e0 (Esso).

If the car has been remapped you will want to run it on super, but if it's standard it will run fine on normal unleaded.

11. I hear of quite a few cars having problems with emissions on mot tests with e10.

I wouldn't personally use 95 octane in a stock megane. Noticeable difference in performance running 99 octane from experience.

Si271 likes this.
  12. So turns out the spark plugs have rusted in the head, and all the coils are fucked!

13. Did you find that yourself or did the garage locate it?

14. Took it to another garage and they found it

Vulcan3 likes this.
  15. Don’t use the first garage again then, clearly don’t know their arse from their elbow:tearsofjoy:

Vulcan3, Harry250 and Brigsy like this.