DV/recirc/backing plate

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by VW TT, Mar 4, 2018.

1. So you’re a clever bunch who hopefully won’t laugh at my lack of technical knowledge. I’m considering modifying the car a little. But I’d rather understand what is being done to the car than just having things fitted.

So I have read up a little on these valves as I see a few people have them.

From what I’ve read the car will have a factory recirc system. So I was unsure why a new one was even needed?

Is the forge one people seem to favour an atmospheric design rather than a recirc? And if so is that just for more noise?

And what is the backing/blanking plate I’ve read people talk about? Is that to prevent any venting at all and get a flutter sound? So basically just removing the factory recirc system? And if so does that damage the turbo?

Of course all these questions are nonsense if I have misunderstood how the valve system is setup. So try not to laugh too much if I’ve got it all wrong :smile:

Anyway thanks for any advice.....

2. Hi, my understanding is the factory recirculation valve is mass produced for a budget. It works perfectly fine for the warranty/factory power but is not designed for updated power.
    The forge recirc valve can have its spring changed to allow holding more boost.
    The blanking plate is used when a dump valve is used to blank the removed factory valve.
    Dump valve pump to the air (was not a fan myself). These again can have their springs changed.

Personally would not run without either a recirc or dump valve.

Hope this helps

VW TT likes this.
  3. Thanks for the reply. I think maybe I understand.

So is this right......

Stock recirc ok on stock power.

But for more power you need a better valve.

Recirc sends the air back to the inlet side of the turbo = quieter

Dump valve sends the air straight out of the system = noise

Blanking plate stops air getting out at all = nice flutter sounds etc but possible damage

4. Yes but blanking plate is needed also when dump valve used as you need to remove the recirc valve.

5. The standard recirc is good to be fair. Hybrid turbos come with them fitted and can run 360bhp. But i have changed mine as it gives off a slightly different noise. The standard ones perish when they get old because of the rubber diagram.

6. I run a blanking plate with no dump valve on mine. I believe @-Jamie- does too. There is an argument that it damages the turbo, but I think it's negligible. Go back to the likes of Cosworths and RS Turbos and they didn't use dump valves and were fine. It's a risk not worth worrying about in my view.

7. Great info guys thanks. Sorry I’m confused again now.

So the blanking plate is needed with a dv. The dv I assumed fits where the recirc valve was. So does the blanking plate fit where the air would return in a recirc system. Is that right?

If I get the forge valve, do I get the recirc or dv with blanking plate or just a blanking plate? Any links to the right thing would be useful.

And what spring colour should I get? (Car will be mapped with I/c, intake, decat/sport cat)

Thanks again everyone. Sorry I’m a bit slow with this.

8. You can download the fitting guide for the Forge dump valve from here: https://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/Blow_Off_Valve_for_Renault_Megane_RS250265275--product--786.html

Having a read through that should help you to become familiar with all the different bits. Probably easier if you can visualise it. Basically, if you get an atmospheric dump valve, you have to fit a blanking plate in place of the standard recirculating valve.

I believe that you can get an uprated recirc. valve that simply replaces the standard one too though. Like I said, I just fitted a blanking plate to enjoy the chatter lol.

VW TT likes this.
  9. Nice one. Thanks again everyone. I’m getting the idea now. The fitting guide was useful. Thanks.