Driveshaft Spacers

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Tom 265Cup, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Recently got some spacers from Pipps to gent and a great manufactured spacer.

Can someone tell me or even better show me where and how to fit these?

Also how do they actually work? Surely a spacer would reduce the fitment of the drive shaft?

2. What a fucking nightmare these have given me. Mark at mark fish motorsport took the short side one off my car, you certainly don't need one on the long shaft, it immediately caused strange vibrations from right side with turn and power causing me to take it out track side costing me seat time. He reckons as soon as you have any camber at the front you're reducing the distance from the hub to the box meaning if anything it could do with shortening and spacers where causing immediate issues. If you're not actually having issues yet, leave these well alone is my recommendation. No fault on Pipps, they where well made and to good spec but fitting them as a precaution has cost me time fitting then money getting them off, what a ballache.

3. Well, not having the spacer cost me 2 breakdowns on the 'Ring with all costs, phone calls and headaches Involved.. If you plan on lowering the car, get a spacer.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn MotoG3 met Tapatalk

TEV250 likes this.
  4. Tbf, there only suppose to be fitted if going lower than 40mm.

TEV250 likes this.
  5. Is this really that big of a deal ?

I'm going for a set of Bilsteins on my 250 so there won't be any geo adjustment still. I only want to fill the arches slightly and remove some of the body roll when changing directions and braking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. My car is brand new, lowered on KW clubsport. Maybe a bit lower than race car Stance but absolutely not hellaflush. Axle snapped when going out of carrousel.

7. [​IMG]
    This is my ride height.

Pipps310 and Bowen like this.
  8. Shit man !!! Maybe it is a big deal...

I'm not planning on going quite as low as that but still. Looks like I'm gonna need a single spacer for the shorter shaft then !

9. I lost the short shaft on the UK roads without any Nburg trips. Just Cadwell.

S.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

10. Can someone just confirm : right hand drive fit to passenger side shaft, correct?

11. I have fitted 2 sets to other Meganes one was 40mm and the other 30mm, one of the drivers has done a couple of track days but he normally drives very hard along the lanes and had no vibration or steering issues. I help out where required as I can get the spacers made to help members but at the end of the day it's entirely our own choices. There does seem to be variances in people having either big problems or non at all.
    Cheers

12. I also fitted these to mine with no issues and she was only 20mm lowered

13. This is where it all started

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_fid=70729&share_type=t&share_pid=109266

Regards

Ian

Bowen likes this.
  14. That is gorgeous. How low is it in mm?

Pipps310 likes this.
  15. No idea... 50-60mm?

Bowen likes this.
  16. As I told before , you only need 1 spacer for the drive shaft on the passenger side , I've installed around 20 spacers ,also on cars with 2.5 degrees camber , never had an issue...

Pipps310 likes this.
  17. hey all, recently had my coilovers fitted, 40mm lowered and fitted my driveshaft spacers on both sides, driving around on boost upto a certain speed is sound, at a higher speed on boost, i get what i can only describe as a rubbery vibration, if you let off it goes, wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

18. By my analogy if you lower your car then you're pulling the drive shaft OUT slightly as the car goes down hence need for spacer to fill the gap. But if you induce negative camber you're pushing the same shaft IN slightly. So am guessing you'd need to do all your mods and have look at the shaft see if a substantial gap exists to warrant a spacer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jack250 likes this.
  19. In the Mini Cooper world it's normal that you have vibrations when you lower a car. It happens because the velocity joints( is it the right translation?) is being put in a different position and has to wear in again.

20. Hi,

is this sort of a noise you guys were referring too potentially from CV Joint for not having spacer?

Megane 3 RS 250 LHD

Regards,