265 Driveshaft and Gearbox seal

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by AFPT, Oct 7, 2023.

1. Hi everyone! Been registered for a while but never posted.
    I searched but didn't find anyone with this problem.

When fitting the left side driveshaft, it pushes the seal in and causes a leak!

I had this same problem a few months ago after replacing all gearbox bearings and seals.
    Even after adding grease to the seal and shaft it wouldn't go in but finally managed to get it in by cutting up some thin plastic to make a cone and help the shaft go past the seal but that time the sub-frame was out so i had plenty of space and visibility to see what i was doing and then remove the plastic.

This time round, i only replaced the driveshaft so access was very limited. i used the same method as before and it looked like it was fine but a week later, i have a puddle of oil on the floor...

Seal is new from Renault but I will replace it anyway because it may be damaged from me fiddling with it.

Just need some hints on how to get the driveshaft fitted.

2. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

You should always turn the shaft as your pushing it into the gearbox, i done loads and lads and have never had a problem.

AFPT likes this.
  3. yes. now that i think about it i don't think i ever tried turning the shaft while pushing it in. only gave it a slight twist.
    probably because i was pulling the whole assembly outward with one arm and aligning it with the other.

I'll get someone to help me so that i have both hands free to get the shaft past the seal.

Thanks!