275 Dreaded Diff Bearing Whine

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by av4625, Jan 30, 2023.

1. I have a 2016 275 on about 33k miles and it recently started to whine. I think it is the diff bearing as it seems to be super common on the later mk3's at about 30k miles.

The car is a road car and sees no track and most of those miles would be on the motorway. If it was you would you also change the clutch?

Was planning on ordering diff bearings, driveshaft seals, gearbox oil, slave, maybe clutch?
    Is there anything else I should get?
    How much oil does this box take?

2. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

You could buy a clutch, if you don't need it, it will keep.

My 265 had it first clutch at 108k miles, it all depends on how you drive, i don't sit at the light waiting for them to change slipping the clutch same in traffic.

Don't buy the bearings from Renault, get good quality ones from a bearing supplier, NTN, SKF etc think Renault used chocolate ones from a factory in China.

Just rebuilt a mates gearbox, the bearing on the 1st/2nd - 5th/6th shaft that had the hardening coating break up, but u replaced all the bearings as it was already apart.

Box takes 2.4ltrs of fully synthetic 75/80.

av4625 likes this.