R26 Downpipe Studs/Nuts

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by SonicUK, Dec 14, 2016.

1. I fitted a 3" de-catted downpipe to my R26 earlier in the year with some new studs and copper locking nuts, and was annoyed to find after just 3 months and 2 track-days the car began to sound like a tractor, and all 3 studs complete with their nuts had come clean out of the turbo, resulting in the downpipe entirely separating from the turbo.

This caused quite a bit of damage in the engine bay from damaged manifold gaskets to melted pipes and bushes and even destroyed the heatshield at the back of the engine bay.

I had a garage rectify the work, replace bushes, heatshield etc and re-fit with new studs and locking nuts... and another few months and track days later i've again found the whole fucking downpipe has separated from the turbo with all 3 studs/nuts gone :rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage:

Luckily i've caught it early enough this time that no real damage has been caused, but it's an incredibly annoying job to do with that back stud/nut, and i really don't fancy doing it every few months!

What are people doing in order to keep the studs firmly fixed into the turbo? I don't think its the nut that's coming loose at all, but the stud coming out of the turbo. I'm practically on the verge of welding the bloody things into it...

2. I have used Allen bolts and nordlock washers and it has been fine so far