275 Downpipe or No downpipe?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by RobbieR, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Hey guys, so I have a Megane RS 275 with the Akrapovic cat back.

Just hit 3,000 kms and am looking to only get a stage one tune done on dyno.

Should I bother installing a sports cat downpipe or leave stock downpipe?

Curious if any one has actual data on the gains? I've seen maybe 10hp gain and 25nm on sports cat over stock cat? Is it really worth the cost?

Thanks
    Robbie

2. Sports cat will be much friendlier to your engine as the stock one is very restrictive.

It's not only about max gain, but also on engine heat management, which brings longevity and power availability into equation.

3. You sure about that?

4. Having seen the stock pipe out of a car: yes, definitely. The routing and sizing is on the small side. Surely not an issue when used at normal pace on roads, but for prolonged track work with longer stints, I would most definitely change it.

RobbieR likes this.
  5. Very interesting. Agree he peak figures aren't over the top in benefits but the gains should hopefully translate across the midrange.

Good point on the heat management, the car already loves cook it's self (here in Australia anyway).

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  6. Australian temperature? Plus track work? Sports cat and nice intercooler would be my first modifications of choice.

7. I'm in Oz & spend a lot of time on track (usually 20+ events/year) so have replaced the very restrictive & heat generating downpipe/cat with a 70mm decat downpipe.
    Ive also fitted a Wagner intercooler & have an intercooler water spray system too.
    With the increased boost I'm running & the shocking summer we've just had its a no brainer really imo.
    Also my 275-R is one of only 2 'nurburgring spec' cars that came to Oz without air con or radio or sat nav etc, so have the added bonus of not having an air con core which can only help air flow through the rad.

RobbieR likes this.
  8. No air con, you sir are a brave man.

Well I'm decided, downpipe with 200 cell cat and matching flex pipe piece it is.

Can I ask, this intercooler spray kit, is it off the shelf or custom?

Cheers
    Robbie

9. Not so brave, I have another car for daily use if its too hot :wink:.
    Removed the air con from my 200 also so it was a bonus for me not to have air con in the 275.
    The I/c spray kit is custom (simple job), just get a couple of I/c nozzles from an Evo or STI etc & hook up an aux spray bottle/pump or simply tee into the oem windscreen bottle (just use plain water of course). I have a vacuum adjustable hob switch too so I can use the sprayer manually or have it come on automatically at a pre-set boost level (trick I learnt many years ago from my 99 Sti).

10. Just read your build, your thing looks like a weapon! Will be keen to see it at the Oz Nats this year

11. Here's a tip, if you go for the 70mm downpipe you don't need to replace the flexpipe section as it's already 70mm (it steps down to the 65mm Akra after the flange section). Also you wont get the real benefit from a 3" unless you replace the entire system with a 3". I'll get a sound clip up of mine soon (it sounds like a bloody WRC car running anti lag):wink:.

12. Interesting, So is the flex pipe larger on the Akrapovic equipped cars? I always thought the flex pipe flange that bolts to the downpipe narrowed to 2 inch at the joint?

I don't suspose you have pictures of your old downpipe and flex pipe for me to have a look at?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  13. Not sure about standard cars but mine definitely has the 70mm opening, the standard downpipe is 70mm too but its choked down internally to about 60mm at the exit. You'll see what I mean when you remove the oem down pipe. I was also under the impression I would need to have a new flex pipe made with enlarged opening but that's not the case. I do have the standard downpipe with the witness mark showing the 70mm outlet mating surface, i'll send you a pic tomorrow when it's daylight.

RobbieR likes this.
  14. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

The stock flexi is ridiculously small it's only like 1.8 inches or something. Saying that it can't be that restrictive seeing as I'm 365bhp on it

15. Ah I thought you had a turbo back for some reason Jamie! Well that's good results - do you have the sports cat downpipe fitted?

Also attached is what pictures I could gather from underneath my car the other day. You will note the flex pipe flange into downpipe - cant work out if it's bigger or smaller than the downpipe outlet? The system maintains the full 65mm all the way up to flex pipe anyway... pics for your comments guys;
    d41382064586433e74ddbac5375505c3.jpg 2fa031bff2c1f0dc1662285abbc3f293.jpg 0876f27f27769b552a55e129a0db196d.jpg d9c929e8ff0465001ea3d0138d482f17.jpg 5194f76e305cd7ef928220be01d7be9d.jpg 464d0b41a541f64d9f9b21c46e87259b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I'm running decat, no cats at all in mine

RHK3 likes this.
  17. Do you have a backbox?

-Jamie- likes this.
  18. Here's the pic of oem downpipe to flexpipe.
    You can clearly see the soot build up witness mark that shows the large flexpipe opening as apposed to the choked downpipe opening.
    For the record the flexpipe on my car has the 70mm opening & reduces to a minimum 2.5" all the way through to the Akra. Hope this helps clear things up.

IMG_3526.JPG

RobbieR likes this.
  19. sph

sph

Does anyone know if this the same opening for the stock systems or only the akra ?

20. Excellent information mate and thank you for the photo. From looking at both your and my photos it is safe to assume Renault has redesigned the exhaust from the dumppipe back for the Akrapovic system to reflect a true 2.5" system.

I know from speaking to owners the 250's and 265's definitely don't have a flex piece opening this big, they are only 2" at best, matching stock downpipe opening.

Cheers

21. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Yeah I do, why?

I will be going for a proper 3 or 3.5 inch system this year though

22. I thought your car may be straight piped completely with no boxes, was going to ask what it sounded like.

But my exhaust setup is like yours. No mid box and a decat.

23. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

It's the best sounding imo, full 3inch systems don't sound that great imo, sound empty. Granted the oem setup may be slightly restricting but for what I'm running its fine for now.

Straight piped ones sound terrible

24. cgrautomotive

cgrautomotive RSM Trader

Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd add a bit of info in here to help clear a couple of things up.

The witness marks you see on the downpipe exit are from the factory gasket, which has a much bigger hole (Normally 3") than both the opening to the flexi and the exit of the downpipe, leaving the area to get sooted up in the gaps between both flanges.

Although the external tubing diameter is around 2.5" the internal diameter of the flexi-pipe is around 2" at it's smallest point which on a standard system isn't really as issue as you have a CAT in there which poses more of a restriction than the flexi-pipe itself, a system is generally only as limited as it's most restrictive part, although that's not strictly true it's a good rule of thumb to work out how to get more power - i.e a 3" cat-back system bolted onto a standard cat isn't going to get massive gains, and a 3" decat pipe onto a standard system isn't going to get massive gains, but combine them both and suddenly the car breathes a new lease of life.

You can flow big numbers through small pipes (a GTR system is a factory 70mm pipe and people run 800bhp + through those) but you're restricting your volumetric efficiency so switch it out for a larger (not too large) pipe and suddenly you can get more power per boost/fuel and keep temps down and have less reliability issues on top of that.

We've done quite a lot of development and problem solving with Megane's for various reasons, noise, power, temperature, weight e.t.c so we're happy to advise as much as we can if anybody has any other questions :relaxed:

Cheers

info@cgrautomotive.co.uk
    01709 530871
    www.facebook.com/cgrautomotive

RobbieR likes this.
  25. Oh right, would be interested to see what a straight piped one sounds like compared to my car.

26. Thanks for the further information Charlie, very informative and appreciated.

Well looks like I have further research to do. [emoji3]

27. Sound clip of akra & downpipe as promised, it's only stationary idle & throttle blips taken on my phone so not great but you can get an idea, so may help, there is flame too.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    MartijnGizmo and RobbieR like this.
    RobbieR likes this.
  29. Sounds fantastic ! A bit more bit to it then with oem cat in place. The flames were a nice touch, I imagine on full song with load it will be even more impressive.

30. Yes it's a much deeper/better noise under load, i've also removed the midpipe silencer which combined with the downpipe is probably a bit too much for regular road use too be honest.

31. Well you've got more guts then me haha I'm not game to cut the mid pipe on the Akrapovic.

32. Megane RS 250 stock flex pipe - 47mm

Attached Files:

RobbieR and -Jamie- like this.
  33. I'm bloody surprised they make the power they do on just a tune with a 1.9" inlet after downpipe. Impressive

34. Bit of a thread bump but has anyone changed the standard restrictive exhaust flexi to a larger one?

Just wondering if there would be any benefit to it when running at non hybrid turbo levels?

35. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

It makes a bit of a difference changing to a larger flexi but not a massive difference and I doubt you would actually notice much difference in the real world