250 Door leak pooling in footwell compartment

Discussion in 'Exterior & Bodywork' started by Ben Jones, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Hi folks I'm trying to stop water leaking in around the drivers door then pooling on the seals and overflowing into the footwell and pooling in the underfloor storage compartment.

I've done the following
    1) Put new adhesive all round the right membrane and it's firmly stuck, also applied waterproof tape to some small tears at the top
    2) Sealed around the wiring that comes in just to the right of the right membrane

Been out this morning and because of the freezing temps I was greeted with a small frozen trail of water all round the bottom of the door (roughly where the red line is I've drawn on the first pic) and up the side towards the lock.

IMG-4501.jpg
    IMG-4500.jpg
    Frozen pool above which if there was more water would of overflowed into the footwell
    IMG-4505.jpg
    Above is where the water pools and spills over
    IMG-4502.jpg
    Above there was some water dripping in off the wiring loom but I've sealed around the grommet and it seems to have stopped it but not sure if it's inside the loom and then traveling down the wires so passing through the sealant and grommet.
    IMG-4511.jpg
    Above sealed around the membrane, not seen any water ingress at this point since.

Here is a short video of inside the door, looks quite abit of moisture but I'm not sure if this is normal or if anyone can spot any obvious issues of water ingress?

Any ideas where the water is still coming in? I'm wondering if I can't stop it, can I provide it an exit route by drilling a small hole in the seal around the door which makes the water pool and then overflow into the footwell, circled in the third picture.

2. You check that drain holes in the bottom of the door arent blocked?

3. Yup they're fine, the water is running around the outside of the door (where I've drawn the red line) rather than building up on the inside

4. You got any broken card clips? Even thou not broken i found one of mine near the front of the door weeping, ended up putting a few layers of vinyl over the hole a piercing it with a screwdriver to make ot a tighter fit.

5. I think maybe one is broken but I've had the door card off for the past 2 weeks trying to work out where the leek is coming from. I guess maybe the door card clip holes could give me false positives whilst its off.

6. My main leak was the broken membrane, when i fitted me new speakers, but did have water marks from the lower front clip house. Get some vinyl or good tape and cover all the clip holes up and test it with a hose pipe.

7. Ye good idea I’ll cover the clip holes with tape to at least clear that idea without having to put the door card back on to see

8. Hiya I'm having the same issue.

Did you fix it? Mine seems to be coming through the wiring loom at the end where you sealed. The water must be getting in on the other side of the bung further up and sweeping down then in to the footwell.

I have no idea how to remove the wiring layer on to examine.

9. Charlie Howard

Charlie Howard RSM Club Member

I've had this same issue on and off for the past few years, I've done similar to OP but after a few months it just leaks again, bit the bullet and bought the seals from Renault for £90, we'll see if this sorts it finally.

10. Hello all same issue here :worried:
    I have read what I can and looked like the scuttle panel but I have cleaned it and ran a hose through it and no blockages there.
    Can anyone tell me where any of the other drain holes are in the Meg 3 rs please? Any drain holes at all and especially those that may be responsible the passenger footwell leak.
    Also I did read somewhere to check the ac drain is not blocked as my ac is gassed but not working also so any info on where this air con drain pipe is under the car would be really helpful.
    Thanks

11. Charlie Howard

Charlie Howard RSM Club Member

Check the door seals as said in this post, most likely to be them

Tazboy likes this.