Dog leg mount stiffening

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by bulardas, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Hello all,

As you may know, I drive a diesel RS and I'm lookin for ways to improve the car. Last stop were engine mounts. After a bad experience with Vibratechnics mounts (they thought RS175 is a petrol version, so the mounts were no good for my car) I sold them and I had to find another solution.

Which it came as filling the original dog leg mount. Because it is a diesel, I didn't wanted to rattle and sake like a paint can, so urethane and so, was out of discussion. After some searching, I found a source for a liquid rubber (55-56 Shore A) that can be used to fill the mounts.

I made my mount and install it in the car and I'm very happy with the result. The gearbox is not moving at all, is much easier to find the correct gear when you shift, the clutch engagement became sharper and the car is a daily driver. I went to Austria and back with my wife and she had no complains about this mod, so it passed the toughest critic.

After 2500 miles, I can say to anyone about this, as I'm sure is a very nice, cheap mod. The total price was around 20£, much lower than any aftermarket mount.

If anyone is interested in keeping the money in the wallet rather than spending them on shiny parts, give me a shout.

S.

2. Do you have a link for this mate??

3. Hello,

A link for what? The solution used for the filling is an industrial stuff that I managed to get hold in small bottles from they've big canister. I'm not aware of the solution to be sold in small quantities. If anyone is interested to try it, I can make they're dogmount.

S.

4. I've heard of people using tigerseal/ stikaflex/ windsceen + sump adhesive etc etc

5. i have used tigerseal on my williams and its fine but i dont use it every day

6. just a quick update on a old thread!
    having read the original post i thought i would have a go at doing this and found this on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281784409217?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

simple enough to do (bit messy whilst its setting)

remove mount

clean it up with brake cleaner

seal up one side with duck/masking tape

mix liquid together

pour into holes of the mount until level on top

put near a decent heat source for a couple of hours until set

trim off any excess that has leaked out with Stanley knife or similar

please be aware that the A 60 shore is quite a soft compound but as i have a diesel rs i needed the extra dampening to make sure i didn't get any extra vibration.

it has worked a treat and all engine movement is now gone and gear change has become crisp and accurate.

there is no extra vibration so all in all very happy with the results.

for anyone doing this with a petrol car i would suggest a shore A 85 mix which is available from the same company.

the 119grm is perfect size for doing this mount.

cheers

7. What I learned after doing my dog leg is that you need to do something to the other mounts as well, otherwise you will break them, especially the gearbox one. So, I'm looking now for ways of improving the gearbox one as well.

S.

8. Dzm

Dzm

My dci 175 has got a lot of engine movement - the gear lever moves about 1cm coming on and off the throttle. I've ordered the main engine mount, but is it worth replacing the other mounts? Like the gearbox dogbone? This was a cause of issues on my old Clio 182.

Also, any tips for installing the new one? Will it wiggle into place without removing loads of stuff?

cheers

9. Is your engine/transmission hitting something on braking or harsh roads??? - a metallic ding? If yes, then you gearbox mount is shot. I never changed the main mount, but I changed 2 dog leg and gearbox mounts.

S.

10. Dzm

Dzm

Haven't heard a metallic ding. More just general movement of the gear lever back and forth as i come on and off the throttle. I've ordered the gearbox dog bone as well. Will start with those and see how i get on. Hopefully it won't be a pain to fit the main mount as there's quite a bit of piping in the way.

11. Dzm

Dzm

just replaced the main engine mount and lower gearbox dog bone, but still loads of movement in gearbox. So I've ordered the remaining two mounts. Do you have any tips for replacing these? Is it fairly straightforward? Will the upper dog bone wiggle out without disconnecting any pipes? Will try and do the short shift mod at the same time...

thanks for for your help in advance.

12. Dzm

Dzm

So, the upper dog bone is super easy to fit - easily enough space - and proved the be the mount that had broken. Might be worth trying/inspecting that one first if your gear lever is moving loads.

13. is the dogbone easy enough to do what tools will I need and whats the best way to come at it?