Sponsored By:  

Does anyone fancy a group track day at Donington?

Discussion in 'Track Days & Track Driving' started by Mr Spoon, Aug 13, 2021.

1. Hello all,

As per the title, I'm happy for this to be early spring 2022 or even November this year (afterall we have heaters in our cars)

I can suggest some dates... I really like Donington as a track both car and bike, its wide and has plenty of space.

Any takers:

1. Mr Spoon

2. Ive just booked into Cadwell for 23rd September which is likely my last of the year. Unless they have an evening session going which might be fun.

Come to Cadwell, ive been a passenger twice and I really cant imagine any UK track being better.

Poppaboost likes this.
  3. 2. Poppaboost
    3. And a mate

date depending.

4. Cadwell is a fabulous track for a megane, Oulton park is also very good.

D7DPJ likes this.
  5. Possibly, not sure if 3 months gives me enough time to get mine ready :sweatsmile:

Poppaboost likes this.
  6. So I've booked Donington for the 7th of November.

7. I'm up for this. Let me check the holiday rota at work and make sure I'm off first.

Mr Spoon likes this.
  8. I could be down for this! Funnily enough never done donny but would love to!

Mr Spoon likes this.
  9. Who is the TDO? MSV don't have that date on their calendar.

10. Trackdays.co.uk .... Not sure who is operating outside of the website

11. Donington is only 25 minutes away from me.
    Never done a track day. How long do they usually last?

12. All day

13. The organiser is Javelin Trackdays. I would advise to book direct through them rather than Trackdays.co.uk. I've had issues with them twice now where people haven't actually been on the attending list of the track day even though we have email receipts and booking conformation showing that I've booked tickets for that event.

Mr Spoon likes this.
  14. I booked through javelin. Thanks for the tip.

Any other takers?

15. Question regarding Donington, will I need to have my tow eye in? I've only ever done bike track days here, first time in a car.

16. Yes you do or they will use what ever they can attach a rope or strap too

Mr Spoon likes this.
  17. Best keep your zipper up then :grimacing:

Mr Spoon likes this.
  18. What do you do with the rear

19. You don't, some have modified the rear to add a toeing eye but we don't have one. Just hope that if you crash the fronts accessible :tearsofjoy:

20. Well it will be what it will be. I don't think anyone goes to the track to crash, but it can happen easily.

21. Nothing

But when i went off and they couldn't use the front, they attached it to my roll cage and pulled me out backwards :openmouth::openmouth:

22. I got black flagged last time I was at Donnington because I forgot to screw my towing eye in to the front bumper. They are pretty hot on it there. Same thing happened at Snetterton a month before too :sweatsmile:

Mr Spoon likes this.
  23. Only a couple of days to go... this will be my first cold weather track day.:smile:

24. I’ve got work in the afternoon but think I might pop up to see how it’s going on the morning.

Mr Spoon likes this.
  25. im the bald fat guy in the yellow megane with someone else's daughter and not my wife with me.....

Poppaboost likes this.
  26. You got a garage?

27. nope. I'll be in the car park :smiley:

28. What times kick off?

29. 7.30 sign on. 9am track :smiley:
    Just checked fluids. Pressures when i get there and then again after a few laps.

Poppaboost likes this.
  30. I’m parked behind you I think, where you got to?

Mr Spoon likes this.
  31. Really good day today. Saw a few Megane's on the track, fairly busy, at one point I think Poppaboost counted 15 cars on the pit straight!

Standards were mainly good, and only a couple of close shaves with over enthusiastic trackdayers. The car performed amazingly. Didn't do too many laps, maybe 30 in total. Just wanted to enjoy the car for what it is and not set any records. Sorry no footage, times or anything.

danmc_82 likes this.
  32. Sounds like you had fun which is all that matters.

How does the car grip in the cold?

33. Very well. Really capable, tyre temp was really easy to handle. Dropped the temps to 28psi front and 30psi rear, (cold) and were 33.5 all round after a few laps, and remained every time i checked.

danmc_82 likes this.
  34. So the day ended early. After chatting to @Poppaboost for about an hour, I went back out for a pre-lunch session. All seemed very good until post lunch when one of the brake pads had disintegrated. Inside pad on the front right. Nothing but backing plate left. All the others 90% of the pad!!

This is the first time having exaggerated wear on a single pad on one side. It does seem more manufacturer failure than a wear issue, brake pad is a RS OEM.

Other than that, the brakes were excellent, so uprated brakes are going to be interesting.

35. The breaks on my R26 seem to be the only let down IMO. Dont get me wrong, it does break, but its not a sharp confidant breaking like im used to. I told my local garage who suggested Yellow back pads. Heard they are pretty decent for the price.

Mr Spoon likes this.
  36. If they mean ebc yellow stuff, then no they squeal.
    Better off with something like ferodo ds2500’s or similar.
    I run ds3000’s on mine and they’re very strong.

Mr Spoon and danmc_82 like this.
  37. Yeh I think they're the ones they mentioned. Glad you mentioned about the squel as I cant stand that.

Just had a look at the ones you mentioned, ds2500 look good value. On ferodo's website they say the 3000's arnt for the road? Do you just drive hardcore all the time :laughing:

38. Yeah technically I think they are supposed to be track only but they work remarkably well even from cold and very well when warmed up.

Mr Spoon likes this.
  39. As I have sold the Megane, ill be coming in the 1.9T granturismo. I'll bring a wheelbarrow for the cash ill need for fuel, brakes and tyres