265 Do 10mm hubcentric spacers exist?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by D7DPJ, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Hi all,

Im looking to fit the pure motorsport axel spacers which are 10mm as this way the bearings wont have any extra stress, especially on track.

However Im trying to pair this with some fronts but all I can find is 20mm hubcentrics or 5/10mm non hubcentrics which i really dont want. Surely the 20mm fronts will look silly with 10mm rears.

Do 10mm hubcentrics exist?

I will be doing a stud conversion so ideally just need the slip on ones not the bolt on ones.

thanks in advance

Dan

2. In a word no..

I just enquired with APD about 15mm spacers and due to the hub length being 18mm they only do 20 mm spacers hub centric.

I wouldn’t fit non hub centric

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. So with the hub being 18mm if your fitting say a 5mm non hubcentric spacer would this be safe. Would would be the safe limits to how much is left on the centre.

4. Just looked at the bolt on 20mm spacers I have in garage (bolt on type from bimmec) I removed going to 68mm studs and the lip wheel sits on is approx 8 mm so I’d say not really as non hub centric will push wheel off where it should be sitting safely.. I may be wrong ?

I think it’s depth of spacer to sit flush that prevents smaller spacers

Feel free to try but I wouldn’t lol

For info here was the reply:-

We don’t do 15mm as they don’t fit on the hub, I believe the spigot length on the hub is 18mm and you must go thicker than this to fit spacers over the top.

Regards,
    Craig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. I tried them - the only standard sized thinner spacer which still allows the hub to mount inside the wheel centre is 5mm. I tried the 10mm Pure Motorsport spacer, but there’s only 2mm of hub lip poking out the middle, which is not enough to mount in the wheel centre (which also has a centre chamfer of a few mm). With studs, you could risk just the studs supporting the wheel, but it will not be as robust as the hub lip also supporting the wheel. Someone mentioned in a post that they had done this and raced it regularly with no issues, so up to you, but not sure I would trust it hard cornering…

Rensport225 likes this.
  6. there is another way of having a spacer without the lip but safely.
    there is something i have done to my pug before, instead of having the spacer hanging on the hub and then mount the wheel onto it, have the custom made spacer machined the center diameter exactly same as the lip diameter, tapered bolted the spacer to wheel. also, you need a tube external diameter which is exactly same as the hub lip outer diameter so that you can align the spacer and the wheel. it worked safely for me ever with a few trackdays.

7. How much difference will the spacers make other than aesthetics?

8. They are purely for aesthetics. Moving the wheels outwards has a detrimental effect on the handling by changing the scrub radius. 10mm shouldn't be enough to make much of a difference, but 20mm definitely is.

Seen quite a few people saying they've ran with 20mm spacers because they look good, but then took the car on track and have been really unsettled with how the car handled. Pitted and took them off, went back out and said the car was back to its best.

Mr Spoon likes this.
  9. So ive just gone for the 20mm spacers all round in the end, looks much better in my opinion but interesting about handling on track.

I suppose this all depends on many factors such as suspension setup, tyres, wheel size etc etc.

Ill be on brand new cup suspension with Grams lowering springs so not a huge change from standard compared to people with coilovers and camber adjustments.

Ill see how I get on mid August when I have my first track day in the car.

10. If you are left hunting for more grip, try ARB's front and rear. Made a huge difference on the cup with new cup dampers and cooksport springs.

D7DPJ likes this.
  11. its on the list :smile:, just one thing at a time haha

12. To be honest on the road with 20mm spacers, you will more than likely be fine. In theory the ideal setup if you wanted roughly 20mm more poke to fill the arches but have minimal impact on handling, you'd go for 18x9 ET55 wheels... but of course they are a lot more money than spacers! :sweatsmile:

Once you go into the world of coilovers and adjustable top mounts, it's a whole different ball game.

13. so with my setup being: cup suspension and grams lowering springs. 20mm spacers all round fitted onto stud and nut conversion with the 19" steev wheels which I believe are 19x8.5 et58. Could this then potential handle worse?

14. Standard wheels are 8.25 wide with et65 offset for both the 19" steevs and 18" tibors, so effectively with 20mm spacers you've converted them to et45.

Factually it will have an impact. The question is will you notice it or not under your normal driving scenarios? If you've already got the spacers I'd say give them a go and see how you get on. Worst case scenario is you take them off and sell them.

Good video on scrub radius here btw:

D7DPJ likes this.
  15. as per my experience, widen the back really make the rear end well planted or the other word - not-lively.

have to be very careful with the front, my pug run 19mm offset front and i bought something with 3Xmm, the drive was horrible before i put spacer there.

16. Thanks for the video, still very new to the car and probably only driven it a handful of times spiritedly. Will give it a good shake down once my brake line has been repaired and see how I get on :smile: