Disconnecting gearshift cables

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Tony Haycock, May 1, 2021.

1. I'm trying to fix my stiff gear lever and I'm assuming it's the usual swelling bush. I've had a quick look at the ball joint at the end for the cable and I'm not sure how to detach it without breaking it.

2. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

you pinch the coloured tips of the cables and they come off the ball

3. I think even I should be able to do that without destroying anything...

4. Before you attack the bush with a drill, check for corrosion on the inside of the mechanism where the bush sits. It is made of aluminium and is common to get blooms of oxidation that then put pressure on the bush. I had a stiff shifter, but running a wire brush on a Dremel down the ‘bush hole’ cured the issue without attacking the bush itself.

I have my suspicions that the ‘bush swelling’ issue is a myth, as I’m not aware that plastics are known for expanding over time, especially as it lives in quite a clean environment buried in the engine bay.

tof73 likes this.
  5. That does make sense. I'm not 100% sure that is where my problem is, as it's fine when the car is cold, but as it warms up it gets worse.