Disc issues....

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by oldschoolracer, Mar 5, 2023.

1. Hello Guys,

I´ve reported in the past about my slottet disc issues....some of you adviced my to switch to flat discs without slots .... I did so in April 22 and used them in Hockenheim last year. Initally, they were really fine and I used them again twice in Hockenheim last year - first like day and night. After the last Hockenheim event I felt already on the way home a small judder when braking, and it remained all the time till now, without any race event afterwards, already on daily use in the town - juddering just if you touch the pedal easily.

Remember that Hockenheim ist only 2 x15min and overall about 75 km racing speed. What are your experiences with the lasting of the discs? I use Ferodo 2500 on the front ,they are basically perfect as long as the discs are ok. As soon as the discs start to judder, it´s a mess - you loose the rythm completely, have to lift the brake pedal during braking to fix the vibrations....I hoped the issue will be fixed after switching to the flat discs.

If you are on trackdays, have you to change the discs after let say 300 km due to vibrations?
    About the mounting - I´m mechanic with lots of racing experience - the facing area on the hubs are clean, everything double checked - no reason for any faults. Your experiences?

2. It could be pad build up on the discs, you need to do a good cool down lap.
    Stopping with hot discs the pad material sticks to them.

Keeping your speed up as best you can and try not to brake, i see so many driving at 30 ish mph on a cool down lap :openmouth:.

My discs last well over a year, thats around 10+ trackdays and 5-6k miles road miles.

3. Agree - material build-up on your discs most likely cause. I had the same problem.

I struggled to remove it and keep it off, mind you I was swapping track (pagid) and street pads (OEM) which doesn't help. Eventually I went for new rotors and kept track pads (Endless) on and never had a repeat.

I read somewhere if you run with some very aggressive race pads it will quickly clean off the build-up, but I figured smarter to put that money to a new set of rotors.

I'm not a fan of the 2500 pads - I only have them on the rear, but I get varying material skin/wear marks on the rotors, which I think indicates inconsistent composition. I've found the Endless range of pads brilliant.
    p.s. - my rotors before and after were slotted