Diff in a 225?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by sen, Sep 6, 2017.

1. sen

sen

My car started making an awful noise on the drive home from work the other night. Drivers side front wheel sounded like a bike wheel when you used to put a plastic drink carton in it as a child.
    Garage have been in touch today saying they had a quick look and they think it might be the diff in the gear box? Said my drive shaft looks ok but they're gonna have another look in the morning.
    Does this sound right??
    I'd only got the thing back from the garage that same day after having the swivel bearing done on the passenger side!

2. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

Doubt it will be the diff, never heard of one going, check the wheel nuts or drive shaft nut

sen likes this.
  3. sen

sen

I actually changed the wheel nuts that day because I'd had new wheels fitted a couple of months back and had been using the old nuts until I over tightened one (I think) and it was just spinning in the hole and wouldn't come out. At first I thought maybe they were too long and had been hitting the brake disc or something.

The noise only happens when I'm accelerating if that helps and doesn't happen when reversing.