Diagnosing Steering Problems

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by mikep, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Hello Fellow Megane Owners,

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this post - I honestly don't know what the cause of my issue is so I don't know if it is mechanical or electrical. Also, I have seen some similar posts but not with answers to my specific questions so hopefully I'm not repeating anybody but sorry if so.

I believe I have a problem with my steering. I've owned the car for 3 months. It has always pulled to the left. I had the tie rods (I don't really know what these are) redone by my local garage, which were apparently badly worn and worse on one side. However, it still pulls to the left. My local garage are really helpful and trustworthy, but not the best at diagnosing issues and they aren't renault experts. It is much better when I go to them and can tell them what the problem is, which is why I'm here - I'm hoping you might be able to help me figure out the cause before I go to the garage.

The pull to the left is pretty bad so I don't think it is just road camber - if I let go at 80mph in a straight line I'd be off the road within 5-10 seconds. The steering also feels pretty heavy - my arms are starting to hurt and I'm not particularly weak. It isn't consistent though - steering is very light at low speed and gets really heavy after I move off.

No error messages or warning lights are displayed, but the steering does make an electrical sounding whine near full lock. There are no knocking or grinding noises.

I've heard mentions of hub bearings and power steering motors. I guess I'm wondering is there any way I can have a look at the parts myself (under your guidance) to figure out what might be wrong?

All advice welcome, thanks!

mike

2. if your steering doesnt return, like theres no power steering, it indicates the hubs have gone. sometimes when stationary and you turn it can make a squeel noise.

3. Thanks denbers. I can't hear any noises- is this something I can check for visually?

Just got out of my car after ranting it because of a bad mood and I checked the front tyres for uneven wear. I noticed that the side it pulls to smells of burnt rubber and has heat coming off, but the other side didn't. Any thoughts anyone? Broken caliper? How can I check?

Thanks for any ideas.

4. There is a way to check if it is the hub bearings, by unbolting the track rod end from the hub and try moving the hub by hand. If it is really stiff to move (which it shouldn't be), then your hub bearings are shot.

Have you had your tracking checked?
    Whats your tread like? As when my tires were on the limit my steering got heavy and it liked to tramline a bit i thought it may be my hub bearings but with new rubber it was fine

5. Hi everyone.

Thanks for all your replies. I'm a bit too much of a novice to be able to check the hub bearings myself, but when it's next in a garage I'll have it done. I'm starting to think it might be caliper-related. After a drive the other day, the front wheel (only on the side to which the car pulls) was very hot and smelt of burning. I jacked the car up, and sure enough the wheel on that side takes a lot more effort to move by hand than the other side.

The car pulls to that side (always, not just when braking), and there is a slight vibration at high speed but nothing major. The power still feels fine but then my last car was a 1.6 focus and I've only had this for 2 months so I might just not know what is normal.

Question is, is there anything I can do about it? It is a brembo caliper, which I thought would mean it should last for a long time (not just 47000 miles). Am I just an idiot - should I just take this to a mechanic?

Thanks all

6. Markblack@MRS

Markblack@MRS RSM Trader

Pads may be seized in the calliper