Decat or 60mm cooler??

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Minchy131, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Hi peeps! I'm in two minds what to get and what will be better for the car as in performance and keeping the engine running sweet??
    The car currently has a rs tuning stage 1, itg filter, cat back scorpion!!
    Also would any of the old cat or cooler give of a smell of fumes in the car??
    Would I need to get the map tunned in with either of them??
    Thanks

2. You should get the map tweaked yes. No smell of fumes either.

Neither mod will keep the engine running sweet.

I would personally get the cooler first. Its important to keep charge temps down

3. I'd go cooler first also. Decats ate a PITA come mot time.

4. intercooler, std item suffers massive heat soak as its tiny

shouldnt need a re-remap, should self adapt.

5. Incorrect. Charge temperature will affect both peak power and consistent power when driving. Higher the charge temperatures directly impact the amount of spark advance, and this has a significant impact on power figures and driveability. Why do you think people talk of cars 'pulling timing on the rollers'? It's because the fan invariably struggles to match the airflow through the intercooler that would be experienced on the road, which impacts the ability to keep the charge temperature down, and affects your power figure.

With a suitable map, a decat yes will give you more power, and probably better low-end torque due to improving spool through reducing the exhaust restriction, but I would suggest there are other limiting factors which should certainly be upgraded prior to decatting, which most certainly include the intercooler, and probably injectors.

6. Or.. for the price of a forge cooler.. you could get a winner racing one and a decat.. then you'll have both :smile:

7. Oh don't hold us in suspense, throw up a link!! My interest is suddenly piqued.... :tongueout:

8. Nice one Charlie :smile: Dammit though, I bought the Meg in May after promising the missus I wouldn't modify it for at least a year after my last cars (track-oriented GTi6's)....

Looks like that hasn't lasted long!!

9. IC first, decat later

10. If you track it often then IC first, if not decat imo.