265 Decat heat wrapping

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by ghosty0101, Jun 30, 2017.

1. I'm getting my cgr decat fitted next weekend. I wrapped the pipe on my last car, but just read a thread explaining that it can cause excess temps in the turbo and exhaust causing parts to fail. Is this just in extreme cases or am I actually better leaving it unwrapped?

2. I remember reading that it can cause more harm than good wrapping exhausts (on motorbikes) you probably don't need to wrap it.. Mine sits in the midpipe and works as it should not wrapped :smile:

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

3. The temp reason is BS!

A risk which it does carry is when you happen to have an oil leak, the heatwrap will get soaked with oil and cause fire hazard!

charlie1984 likes this.
  4. Get it ceramic coated.

5. cgrautomotive

cgrautomotive RSM Trader

We'd recommend getting it ceramic coated, heat wrapping is dangerous for the reasons mentioned above.

Trapping heat is only a problem on parts where the quality isn't great, weak welds and poor material will suffer at the higher temps however you have nothing to worry about with our decats. Ceramic coating will actually keep more heat in the exhaust than wrapping it would which is a good thing!

Oil vapour and oil residue getting absorbed into the downpipe is a major issue, once your exhaust gets to a certain temp, the oil will reach it's flash point and your bonnet will be on fire quicker than you can say "oh dear".

We're actually getting a small batch of decats ceramic coated as we speak, I'll contact Zircotec and see when they're due to be returned to us, it could be this week but it might be next week, I'm guessing you're taking it to Midlands Renault to be fitted so I'll liaise with Mark about getting it to him in time if you'd like to go down the ceramic coated route?

Let us know what route you'd like to go down and we'll do our best to help :blush:

Cheers

Chris Llewellyn likes this.
  6. No im going to Kev at Armstrong Autos in Luton. I'll leave it naked for now and see how I go. Rather that than have a fire or something similar later down the line. It shouldn't get a whole lot hotter than the standard cat so I think it'll be okay for a while

7. What about the zircotec self adhesive flexible shield?

8. I don't believe that is suitable for applying to the pipe itself as the max operating temperature of the self adhesive layer is 260°C. If you wanted to replace a heat shield with the Zircoflex which is radiating heat away, then the Zircoflex would be fine, but it's not really suitable for the self adhesive side to be wrapped around something to retain heat.