Dci 175 rebuild

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by ianplymouth, Nov 28, 2017.

1. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

Okay a few of you know that i killed the wife's Dci 175 at Abingdon a few weeks ago.

Fist thing i noticed was the oil light came on, so quickly jumped on the clutch and dumped it in 6th, crept back to the pits 200 meters and turned it off, checked and no oil leaks and oil level was spot on.

left it to cool for over an hour, started it up and it was knocking, then it stopped, tried to restart and it was locked solid.

Well it ran a big end bearing, ran one over the other, as they are not located by tangs at the first sign of the lack of oil the bearings spin, this then damages the con rod and as they are "snapped" rods they are scrap.
    The crank pin was also damaged, so took it in for regrinding to then be told the crank was bent, so had to get a new crank and con rod, plus the gaskets, bearings etc etc.

I have started to put it back together now, pistons in, crank is in, new oil pump also fitted, as i could not find any reason why the oil light came on

So tonight i cleaned the sump plate up prior to refitting and i found this

[​IMG]

And this is what it was touching.

[​IMG]

So the sump has been pushed up and was restricting the oil flow into the oil pump by the look of it, was okay driving around town, but the first time it was driven hard :sob::sob::sob::sob:

2. wow, any chance it was a cone? or is the sump protected? do you think any other damage has been done to the engine through the oil starvation?

3. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

No way it was a cone, it took some beating with a 2lb hammer to bang it back into shape, it is quite thick metal.

There is the under tray but that is still in one piece

Everything else is looking good