Dave's super clean trackday machine

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by dtaylor, Jan 26, 2014.

1. hi mate

it all depends what you intend on using the car for really as to what route you want to be going down. for road use give me standard suspension and seats any day for more comfort and more grip due to how much better it is over bumps (cooksports are perfect for a daily driven/occasional track day though.

basically fit the best parts you can afford and most importantly whether its totally standard or a track only - keep it clean :smiley:

Dave

2. thanks josh for the picture

ive seen things like this on tweeks that i should be able to run the horn and cruise control wiring too

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motor...ses-accessories/sparco-steering-wheel-buttons

but tbh the only time i really use the cruise control is on a motorway run usually to a circuit so i might not even bother. what boss kit did you use with your wheel? see Ktec do one but wasnt sure if there was an alternative?

Dave

3. I had to go full screen and put my tablet inches from my nose but I see them, just :smiley:

4. Cracking thread this, good work mate

5. Well spotted then! Im told it looks much more dramatic in reality. Id love to fix a camera next to the exhaust if they'd let me!

6. Thanks mike :smile:

7. :wink:Beautiful car youve got there a man who really knows how to look after one but also thrash it on track

8. Thanks matt :smile:

the car hasnt gone far since the last update but I'll be sure to post up when my latest bits have been fitted

9. time for a bit of an update on the megane. first thing is that ive had the standard wheels powder coated satin black as the original paint had started to wear on the inside and had a few chips on the spokes from stones etc due to the poor quality paint renault use from factory.

the mirrors are currently satin black but only coated with plastidip to see what it looked like. i'll more than likely get these sprayed up gloss back to match the trackday wheels and to make them distinguishable from the plastics a bit more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

secondly ive been after a 330mm sabelt wheel ever since i had a sit in a clio cup racer at doningtons PFC show. i found the 200 wheel i have fitted a bit to thick for my hands to get a proper grip on when cornering quickly on track. wearing gloves to prevent wear to the alcantara only made things worse so the much thinner wheel should improve that. (the 200 wheel and airbag will be up for sale if anyones interested in it)

the boss and a quick release kit were sourced by jade developments for a good price. i wanted a way of extending the wheel closer to the driver and the quick release seemed to be the easiest option. also means i can remove the wheel to clean it :wink:

mark black fitted the parts as usual making sure the wheel turned everything smoothly and without catching any of the wires or parts on the column. also managed to get the indicators to self cancel as well which was a feature i didnt think id be able to retain with the new wheel. one thing i have lost though is the cruise control but to be honest it isn't something i use often with the cars limited mileage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

with the new wheel fitted i went for a good long drive to get used to the smaller wheel. its amazing how different it is to drive with. the wheel is small enough to give a less obscured view of the road ahead from the low driving position even with the steering column at its furthers out and lowest position i can still stab the clutch whist applying lock without getting tangled up (always a problem with the standard sized wheel for me) and perhaps due to a mix of a lighter wheel and different boss the steering itself also seems to have more weight to it which is also an improvment.

the indicators and wiper storks are a bit more of a reach not but im sure its something i'll get used to the more i drive the car.

thanks for looking comments and questions welcome as ever.

Dave

10. Looks good Dave, why don't you try and make a little arm that fits onto the stalks so you can still flick them on with your finger

11. Freddy

Freddy Banned

Looks like you've lost the horn as well

12. Nice, I wish the wheel in mine would come closer. I suffer from a terminal affliction of long legs short arms syndrome which is made worse by having my knees come up very close to the bottom of the wheel.

This car just looks so tidy in every pic too :smile: mines plastered with mud :worried:

13. It was in a bit of a state before I washed it mate with all the rain weve had recently a hour round the country lanes gave it a good coating of muck! Its always a pain trying to get the right distance from the wheel without feeling like your on top of the pedals

14. Speaking to mark black about the horn he'll probably be able to get it working off a button that sits on a plate between the wheel and the boss.

15. Thanks steve.

There fine as they are really once you get used to reaching that bit further

16. Freddy

Freddy Banned

Yeah I have my horn mounted on a custom Alu plate I made also got lap timer button and cruise control mounted on there. I've got a suede sabelt wheel as well. Why do you get someone else to do it for you? it's very simple mate.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417364165.427997.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417364176.769961.jpg

17. Hi Dave,

Has the 200 steering wheel been sold yet?

18. Still available mate so drop me a pm if your interested

dave

19. Lightening, all looks great but I'm mortified that the bum cushion and new steering wheel aren't the correct colours to the car, what you playing at? Too much time westin n polishing it, taken your eye of the ball :tongueout:

20. well its been a while since ive updated as the car hasnt been far over the winter months other than a basic service and oil change before my first trackday of the year at rockingham last weekend. once i got to grips with the circuit and with the megane on its slicks we were soon one of the quickest car out there although the surface was rough and not as grippy as id thought it would be the mix of high speed oval and twisty infield was great fun.

until we pulled into the pits before lunch to find both front slicks down to the canvas on the outside edges due to rockinghams notoriously rough surface.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Cracking pics dave, what make is your helmet, it looks like an old school one

22. this weekend was a return to cadwell park with a few other forum members sadly without slicks as i could get the replacements in time. great day but frustrating managing the understeer of the federals which i think have been through a few to many heat cycles now and were squealing all day long regardless of pressures. the day was still a lot of fun though and proved how quick the meganes were against what else was on circuit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ive a few videos from both rockingham and cadwell to upload as well at some point.

ive got another day booked on the 31st at oulton park and once thats over im planning on returning the car to standard and moving onto something else. as much as i enjoy the megane on track i fancy a change and dont want to take the megane to the extent of a full blown track car by welding in a cage etc on a car thats only done 28k and is pretty much mint despite its regular track outings.

Dave

23. thanks steve its a bell star classic based on the 1970s design

24. Where can you get them from

25. Great pics mate

26. thanks Glen :smile:

27. Blimy. Looks mega as always. If you sell your wheels when you go back to standard give me a shout.

Real shame your planning on getting rid though.

28. Good luck with the wheels chris

29. No idea why the smily face didn't work

31. I keep looking at them new Steve but as of yet I haven't pulled the trigger. I'm bashing emails about with RSTuning at the min so can't spend like I'd want to.

32. Great selection of action shots there!

33. What you going for chris

34. No idea Steve on the final spec yet. But it'll be 300/300.

35. what front splitter is that?

36. Good to finally meet you Dave,as said cadwell was a brilliant day as usual.

37. Hiya Dave
    i was parked next to you at cadwell in the silver megane
    ive got a mate who is looking for a Megane and who would be interested in it as it is
    Have you any idea what you want for it and I'll pass it on
    sam

38. Thanks Chris. There a bit of a que forming for the wheels I'm afraid but I'll let you know.

Dave