Dave's super clean trackday machine

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by dtaylor, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Will a stage 2 car not have more torque low down than a standard map and a decat?

2. Markblack@MRS

Markblack@MRS RSM Trader

It's all down to torque and the delivery of it!!!
    If you spool a turbo faster you'll build boost faster

3. What was the outcome Dave ? Has mr Black had a look yet ?

4. just waiting for the chap with the trailer to arrive John. least the car will stay clean on a trip to marks for once! coilovers are going with the car for fitting and as soon as the problems being diagnosed i'll be ordering the relevant parts. speaking to different people im getting lots of different possible causes from coils and dephaser pullley to the dreaded bent rod.

hopefully by this time tomorrow i'll be able to update with whats gone wrong.

Dave

5. Not a Rod...

finally the car was taken to marks today to find out whats gone wrong.

good job i dont currently have a splitter as it needed some chocks under the front to clear the floor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

marks already made time to have a quick look at the car and its not a bent rod thankfully. seems to be related to the pulleys or belts. as these were only changed around a year ago we could be looking at a possible defect in the parts (all were OEM renault parts) im pretty sure it wont be anything marks done when fitting as like i mentioned earlier its been done for about a year.

i'll know more once marks taken a proper luck tomorrow and removed some bits to get a proper look at the pulleys and belts.

Dave

6. Fingers crossed it isn't anything too major.

7. Good news on the engine front :smile:
    Could be the dmf has collapsed or is it definitely from the timing end of the engine?

8. hopefully not mate. mark is hopeful of the car being ok again by the end of the week.

Dave

9. DMF is certainly a possibility steve. im not sure currently but the car still turns over and runs just with an awful sound. theres also a hot plastic kind of smell from the belt/pulley side of the bay.

all will be confirmed tomorrow hopefully.

Dave

10. Yeah no point guessing what it could be mate, as there so many little things that could cause a rattle...even the damper if its collapsed.
    The cars in safe hands with Mark and I'm sure he'll have it fixed in no time! :smile:

11. no one wants to see theyre car like this

12. Nice one Dave , chuffed for you mate

13. Yeah its a bad deal giving someone your pride and joy and money to take it. Worth it to get it to marks though rather than a local garage.

Just glad its not rods. Now I can attend the hooters meet :smile:

Dave

14. Well yesterday mark found the problem with the car. Its turned out to be a seased air con pump that spat at sensor into the belts causing the terminal noise.

A new air con pump is about 450 from renault but thankfully marks sourced one for a local brakers yard for only 80. A new aux belt and re gas and the car should be ready to go this evening.

Hes also fitted the BCs last night whist hes been waiting for the pump.

Top work from mark as usual to get the car done as soon as possible for the best cost. Reckon I owe him a beer at hooter for sure now!

dave

15. Nice one dave

16. Great result Dave and I'm sure a huge relief.

P.s having seen Mark eat he will probably like a burger to go with that beer.

17. That's awesome mate.. saw the car yesterday when I popped in.. Omg is bloody clean.

ill be there tonight If your there.

18. Good to hear its not a full rebuild

19. Great news mate :smile:

should have done a aircon delete and save some weight on track.

20. haha with the hours he puts in I can see why! huge relief for sure.

21. Well thats been one good thing about it being transported down angel. We'll be down to collect it about 6pm so hope to see you then.

Dave

22. I was tempted steve! Not sure if the pump is required for belt timing or something? Would explain why it wasnt deleted from the r26r. I need to remember to use it now so it doesnt happen again

dave

23. Aircon pump is on the alternator belt, so cant see why you couldn't delete it. Wonder how much weight is in the whole system...
    Iv not used my aircon in around 2 years, might have to give it a go at some point

24. Car looks brilliant, glad it was nothing major.
    These cars do tend to scare you when something goes wrong, more often than not it's a simple fix.

You can do mine too :wink:

25. should only need a shorter belt which we can calculate with some string.
    There must be 30-40kg to be saved there.

26. collected the car form mark last night all fixed and with new suspension fitted. it took me a while to get used to the speed of the turn in at first, taking 2 attempts before i learnt to calm my inputs. much more alert that the standard dampers. the ride is firm and quite busy at low speeds but does improve once the car is up to speed. theres no real crashing unless you hit a pothole as long as the damping is set on the softer side.

the car is currently at its lowest on the rears and about 15mm from its lowest on the front. id like to raise the rear about 10 to 15mm and see how it settles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

today i gave the front coilovers a quick clean and fitted the jackets to protect the threads from dirt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

gave the engine bay a clean and the made some cuts the the plastic trim covering the strut to allow easier access to the adjusters for camber and bump/rebound.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

currently the camber is set to 0 but ive been advised by a few members to run 2 degrees of negative camber. if anyone has a picture of this or some similar amount id really appreciate a picture to gauge where i should be moving the bolts to on the plate as numbers aren't given only marks!

[​IMG]

thanks for looking

Dave

27. Your better off taking it to a 4 wheel alignment place dave to get it set up, will be the best 50 odd quid to spend mate

28. thanks steve. i certainly will be doing esp if i can find somewhere in yorkshire that does it for around £50.

Dave

29. You should try Allcar Tyres in Huddersfield this is there number 01484 427677, I think they charged £45 when they set my Clio's suspension up. Lovely looking car btw.

30. Thanks adam. Will bear them in mind. Thats a great price too

dave

31. Dan

Dan

Pleased the car is fit and well..

32. Nice results in the end
    I now have your cooksport springs on my car
    Many thanks
    I am at blyton on the 23rd feb to try them out

33. Thanks dan. Certainly a big relief.

34. Great stuff mate. Mark got them fitted for you quick. Will be on track sometime in march hopfully once ive had the coolovers set up.

Enjoy the springs.

Dave

35. Cheers dave will do,,,
    Hopefully mark is going to blyton in feb with us

36. Glad it's sorted now Dave. Coilies look epic!

37. Thanks seb. Will take you for a spin once your back. Been for a decent drive yesterday and its starting to soften a touch which is good. Just gotta dodge the pot holes!

38. Have you tried a set of road tyres on dave, will be softer than most semi slicks

39. Haha these are my pilot sport 3 tyres steve. I really want to put the pro race wheels on to see how they look with the car sat low.

Dave

40. Ive booked the car in friday with track torque in tockwith for a full health check, geometry set up, camber set up, spring rates and loads checked and height adjustment.

Spoke to them on the phone and they seemed clued up on the megane as a car and the BC coilovers and there level of adjustment.

Then im going to be itching for another trackday.

Dave