Dave's super clean trackday machine

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by dtaylor, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Where abouts in Yorkshire you from mate?

2. Would be interested to see a vid. Certainly a quick time stated.

3. Thanks mark!

I dont need to test detailing products anymore since I met you on dw! Coilovers are due to be fitted next week so I'll let you know how I get on.

Dave

4. Thanks mate. Yeah I'll be in touch.

Dave.

5. North Yorkshire lister.

6. There will not be a video as he did not do that time. Just a troll.

7. Yeah I suspected so haha.

8. Lovely looking car and nice subtle but effective mods. Out of interest how loud is the full 3" system, weighing up whether to go with the 3" decat or the sports cat, it's all down to how loud it is as it's my daily too. Cheers.

9. Will.

Will. RSM Moderator RSM Moderator

Jesus that is a very tidy car! Hats off to you! What's next for it?

10. Will.

Will. RSM Moderator RSM Moderator

**Please don't feed the troll bait. Just ignore him and he will get bored**

11. The 3 inch system is a nice bit of kit. Seems well made. I dont find it to loud unless your pasts abput 3500 - 4000rpm then it starts to wake up but cruising esp in 6th gear its fine.

The sports cat fits to the straight pipe under that car unlike the standard cat that sits on the bend so you need the decat piece anyway IIRC. Sure you'll be more thsn happy with the sound but if not a sports cat can be easily added.

Speak to piper directly rather than ktec as they may be a tad cheaper.

Dave

12. Thanks for that Dave, just what I wanted to hear.

13. Corey, John who does track days with us has one as well, with the standard cat in place it's no louder than standard, not sure now it's been decatted

14. Thanks very much Will. Any future mods will depend on how the car behaves with the new suspension so we'll see. Perhaps some slicker tyres in time. Id like to get a basic level gopro camera to film my time on track and hopefully improve my lines and techniques.

Dave

15. lol what are you suggesting?

16. Only just noticed you one here Dave

Looks like I have a competitor for the trackday show and shine trophy

17. Hi there john. Great to see theres a few other people who enjoy regular trackdays as well as looking after the car. Sure I have the exact same picture as your avatar of my own megane at oulton park.

Dave

18. The Piper website had their exhaust down as exclusive to KTEC, just the same as Janspeed. I'm really starting to dislike KTEC now! Does anyone know anyone in Piper to talk to?

19. Your not alone keiron, I've decided to wait for rstuning's new system. Ktec won't be seeing a penny from me!

Back on topic, when are coilovers being setup? Angel really rates them on his megane powered Clio, be nice to see a review once there setup on yours.

20. If you can find a number for piper exhausts uk through google id try giving them a call.

Other than that it would have to be through ktec

dave

21. Im hoping to pop over to cadwell on sat to see how angel performs on track with the BCs fitted. Like you say he seems impressed. The quality seems very good for the money. They are certainly better coated than the set of kw's I had for my old car.

Fitting should be monday down at mark blacks. Angel will also be coming for a look then as hes close by.

I'll report back once there fitted.

Dave

22. well it looks like my next modification has been decided for me.

jumped in the car yesterday and was met with an awful rattle from the engine. spoke to Mark and it seems very likely to be a bent connecting rod. the car will be transported to marks next week so he can confirm the problem before sourcing a set of forged conrods. most likely these from cat cams as there very well priced.

http://www.catcams.co.uk/acatalog/Renault_Conrods.html

if anyone has any other recommendations regarding forged rods please let me know. car should hopefully be back with me in a few weeks max with new suspension and new rods.

regards

Dave

23. Salty

Salty RSM Moderator

is your car mapped?

24. Did you notice this on start up Dave

25. No the car only runs the oem renaultsports map.

26. Yes there a heavy knocking on tick over steve

27. Salty

Salty RSM Moderator

weird, there haven't been many std engines go boom yet :worried:

28. I'd get it checked before ordering parts Dave

29. Thanks steve marks going to check it before anything is ordered. Theres been a few std engines bend rods but its uncommon for sure.

Dave

30. How many miles has it done Dave, if it's ultra low with service history maybe a call to Renault uk , I know it's out of warrantee but you never know what they might say

31. I also see that you've had a decat fitted , did you get the map checked after fitting ?

32. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

They are known to go if you don't map to suit post decat. I've seen 2/3 do that.

33. Why would the map need altering if ive a decat and no remap? Could this cause a rod to bend?

Dave

34. Wrong fueling Dave as well as many other perameters that will be out if sink, so to speak, I'll leave someone to give a more detailed explanation

35. I still stand by the only mapped cars ive seen go have had decats. I wouldnt be surprised if yours had on a std map but with a decat, is the low down torque/spike

hope u get it sorted in any event

36. thanks matt. Not something ive heard of. Ive ran cars with decats and standard map and know of plenty of other who do the same. I still dont inderstand the issue as the ecu surly adjusts the fueling as it learns the mods.

Will speak to rs tuning and see what can be done.

37. You never know Dave it may not be a rod bent

38. Salty

Salty RSM Moderator

the majority of cars the have bent rods have had decats, it does seem to be an issue but still
    a std car is surprising.

39. Its the low down rapid torque rise that kills the rods.