Dan's RS Megane 175 DCI

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by mrdanward, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Decided I wanted to start a project thread for the 175 for myself to look back on, but also hope you guys like it as well. I'm not too sure how much of a project it will be as I don't intend on spending too much money on it, but as any car enthusiast knows, these things just happen.

I'll start by mentioning my previous cars, because some people find that kind of thing interesting: I started out with five different Corsa Bs that all died eventually, a Fiat Cinquecento that I crashed into a puddle, then a Corsa C which was sat on its arse. My first fast (in my opinion) car that I bought was a RS Clio 182 2.0 16v in Arctic Blue, I loved it and spent a fortune modding and fixing it but decided I wanted something more sensible, so bought a Mondeo ST220 3.0 v6. Again I loved the ST, it had red heated leather Recaros and was lovely to drive, but it was very thirsty. So now i have the Megane!

I bought the Megane 175 about a week ago now, and so far I love it. The drive of this is completely different to the n/a cars I have had in the past. The 182 had all the grunt after about 4.5-5k revs, where this completely dies up there so I'm still getting used to that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its the Lux with panoramic sunroof which is brilliant (I haven't had a sunroof before). Its a 2007 which is the newest car I've ever owned and subsequently it also has the best little 'toys' that I've ever experienced with a car - I love the keyless entry and start!

Within the first week of purchase I have already spent £350 on four brand new Uniroyal Rainsport 3 and tracking, as the previous owner (a fairly old guy) had ditch finders on it and the noise from the road was unbearable! My plans at the moment are unclear as I'm still getting used to it and trying to work out what mods I'd like to do. At the moment I'm considering a wheel refurb, having a go at shortening the gear shift and having the back box chopped and some new tailpipes fitted, but we'll see. I normally always fit uprated lower springs, but I'm not convinced the 175 needs them.

Anyway, hope my ramblings didn't bore you. Any comments would be great and suggestions for mods and things to do to the 175 are welcomed.

2. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

Another one on there, welcome along. Get it up to RS tuning for a remap, it's power delivery is much smoother after Paul has done his magic.

3. Looks like a nice clean example welcome along

looks like mine used to be when i bought it before i kept modding it.

4. Very nice mate! - looks a fine example. Welcome :smile:

Great idea to start a project thread - its great to look back at it, plus its great for others to look at what you've

5. I've considered taking it up there for a remap, but I'm aware that I'll see most benefit with a DPF delete as well and I'm concerned about it passing an MOT with a DPF delete. Does anyone have anymore info on this?

6. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

Hi Dan
    I have this engine in my Grand Espace and i have had the innards of the box removed, was told as long as it looks as if it's there, that is as far as they look, i have had mine remapped and it made a big difference, i have had it MOT'd 3 times now and not had a problem, i only went for the torque and economy map and not the full power version as my car has done 140k.

7. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

Find someone to just remove its internals, the opening once taken off the car is big enough to remove the insides of the DPF without needing to open it up. That way it still looks like the DPF is on the car :wink:

8. This sounds like the way to go then. Are garages happy to do this? Does it take long? I wonder whether RS Tuning would be willing to do it before a remap - one stop shop.

9. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

Ring and ask mate, he was too busy when I asked so got it done locally. You need a back street garage ideally, Halfords, Quick Fit and the life wouldn't do it.

10. Hey there,

I will come up with some ideas as well. I have the dpf off with the K-tec pipe, so nothing looks stock. I passed the MOT, no issues what so ever.
    You choose the best tire for this car/weather combination. I'm on the second set now and I don' want to go to anything else.
    If you want to lower the car (is too high in my opinion), I recommend you to go with the Eibach springs. Is not crazy low, is not crazy harsh, just a normal car with a lower look. If you want to go a little further, throw some Cup shocks from Renault (if you don't have them yet).

You just got yourself a very nice car.

S.

11. This was a rubbish project thread as I didn't do anything except enjoy driving it. However, sadly it has come to an end.

20160507_132043.jpg 20160507_132057.jpg

12. Ouch, bad times!

Everyone ok?

13. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

Not good, is the boot floor damaged?

14. Everyone was fine. I can't get the boot open but from the impact and the state of the backend I think the boot floor is definitely damaged. Such a shame as I really liked the car. Can't decide whether to get another one or try something else.