250 Cylinder failure?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by k-mac, Sep 6, 2021.

1. Hey guys,

Was driving along in second gear today at normal speed. When I came to accelerate I heard a loud bang from the engine bay. After that the Megane started accelerating very rough. Sort of sounds like a lawn mower. It also felt like it was struggling to make power under acceleration.

Any ideas anyone? I'm really hoping it's not engine failure. Will be calling my mechanic tomorrow but wanting to know what you guys think

2. Check that your gearbox mount bolt hasn't broke, it's the one underneath the battery tray, if it has the engine will be leaning on the subframe.

3. the above is great advice, when mine went it felt like I lost power and the bang was very loud. easy check is to stick your head under the car and see if the gearbox on the passenger side is sitting on the frame.

If so its an easy fix aslong as it hasnt caused any damage. if it is this then report back as youll want to upgrade the bolt.

4. Thank you so much guys for the replies. Spoke to my mechanic and confirmed that it was the bolt in the gearbox mount. Will be replacing with a stronger bolt

dave77 likes this.
  5. lets hope its caused no damage, will be a nice cheaper fix then.

you want this bolt:

https://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=6098&appid=20

but you 100% want to use the washer thats on the car, if you still have it. If not find one as its a big old beast of a washer. the K-Tec washer is not suitable and will not hold the gearbox.

if you do have the original washer then you just need to make the hole 1mm or so bigger.

6. Thanks for the replies guys. No significant damage to report and my mechanic had some spare bolts for the replacement. As mentioned, it's a fairly common problem as the tensile strength of the factory bolt is not good enough. Anyway, all sorted now with a new bolt with a higher tensile strength

dave77 and Poppaboost like this.