Cup shocks vs non cup shocks

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by JesseH, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Hello everyone,

I have a non-cup 2010 Mégane RS 250 and I saw some cup shock absorbers & springs for sale recently. Are the shocks themselves worth changing for the cup ones? What's the difference between them? I'm looking to fit them with some Cooksport/AST Suspension springs.

Thanks in advance!

Jesse

2. Cooksport springs it's a good choise.

You will feel a more hard driving and the car is going to look lower.

In my meg i was do the same.... And if you do trackdays can mount a silver project top mounts.

3. Thanks for the advice! But do you know if the shocks of a cup chassis car themselves are better then a non-cup chassis cars shocks?

4. Yes the dampers are stiffer. Best bet is to try and get a ride in a cup car to see what you think

5. Wouldnt touch cooksports with a barge pole.

6. because.......

7. How come? Nearly everything I've read about them is positive

8. Would not touch snapsports with a barge pole either, hard and crashy, get h&r

9. Hi Jesse! I have cup shocks with AST springs. At the moment very happy, maybe a bit lower than I want, but fine. I had intentions to change for B14 coilovers, but many people say me that my actual suspension works better. So I keep it and money saved!
    Cup shocks are very cheap by the way...

10. Not a fan of H&R to be honest. And I think the rear looks weird with the H&R fitted on a Mégane.

Thanks, good to hear! I live in Holland and I can get a used set of cup shocks + springs for €165,-. Set has less then 55k km and in perfect condition.

11. Good price! And with that kms. they are in good conditions initially.

12. Why don't you see the value of new CUP shocks, and some springs? It may not be much more expensive, and after all it's all new!!

13. They're WAY more expensive, not worth it to me. I initially wasn't looking to upgrade to cup shocks, however I saw them for sale and they're quite a good deal in my opinion. My plan was to just change out the stock springs for some AST Suspension springs.

14. So, you buy the shocks and springs, and after that, you buy another springs to lower the car?

15. Exactly. The cup springs come with the shocks, can't just buy the shocks. But doesn't really matter to me, means I can always go back to OEM cup suspension

16. It's a good price, and if everything is fine, better!
    And you can buy some used lowering springs...
    I saw a German website that is selling H&R springs(you are not a huge fan) for a good price, but don't know if they ship outside the country, and what are the shipping costs for other country...