Cup or non-cup for TD's

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by Spyros, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Hi.

I'm looking at a mk3 250 cup or non cup as a track day car. I get the impression the differences between the two will have been asked a lot so I am sorry but my searching skills have let me down.

Is it just that the cup has a stiffer suspension and LSD? If that were the case and I was planning on coilovers then the LSD would be the stand out difference, correct?

I have seen reference to the chassis itself being stiffer in the cup and also that its lighter but cant find anything definitive.

I have also seen reference to the cups having the leather recaros and rs monitor as standard but then I've seen cups with standard looking seats.

Can anyone set me straight? Don't want to search out a cup, pay a premium for it then replace everything that distinguishes it from a non cup anyway lol

Cheers
    Mark

2. Yes Cup for track. You might find that the OE suspension kinematics are surprisingly capable... I have seen people bolting on coilovers and making the car worse...

-Jamie- likes this.
  3. Thanks for the reply. Possibly coilovers could make a car worse if the geo isn't set up properly.

Most of the meganes I've seen on track have some kind of aftermarket coilovers fitted. Not just for improved body roll but improved dampening when taking kerbs too.

4. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Doesn't mean they are quicker though, OE cup setup is very capable even on rosd rubber. Thilo was dojng 7.5x in a complete stock car with PS2 at the Ring years ago.

Bit of Neg camber with OE Cup setuo would be ideal for fast road and track day without compromising the car

eddie ninja likes this.
  5. We digress. My question isnt about the benefits of coilovers but the differences between the cup and non cup chassis. Reading more elswhere it seems it is just stiffer springs and LSD. Is that right?

6. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

And thicker arbs/painted brembos.

Diff is the main thing you want the rest isn't major uprated ARBs to solve that etc

Spyros likes this.