250 CUP Gearbox sticky shift to 4th gear

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by PateM, May 15, 2023.

1. Hi,

I bought 2010 250 CUP driven about 95k km (sorry, i'm finnish.) few weeks ago. Now I've started to notice, that gearshifts are bit sticky when cold and shifted to 4th gear. Symptoms have started to show up after few backroad trips.

After reading forums here and there, it starts to look like the worst option (shot gearbox).

Problem is quite minor at the moment. It is slightly noticeable when shifting from 3rd to 4th. I can get it easily in gear when I go back into 3rd and try again without lifting the clutch.

Wondering, if i can still remedy this by checking the linkage, oil, or something else others have tried and succeeded.

2. aaa

aaa

I had also problems shifting from 3rd to 4th sometimes, it was harder than shifting to any other gears. I've started thinking that I have gearbox issues but after changing the top engine mount I no longer had this issue and overall gears shifting has improved. The top mount started to leak oil in the end. It's worth to check it if it's fit I guess

3. I had this also, eventually lost the ability to use 4th altogether and then 3rd stared to get difficult to Engauge, found the bulk rings were worn, Renault sell the gear cluster as one, 3rd/4th gear with bulk rings, et wasn't a hideous price think i paid £85 3 years ago.

In comparison 1st/2nd cluster was about £260 from memory, same for 5th/6th, i had done a lot of trackdays where you only use 3rd and 4th.

4. So, is it possible to verify easily? Does gearbox oil have motorsport glitter in it, if bulk rings are breaking up?

5. Not really, i didn't notice any amount of (glitter) in the oil, basically the rings wear and don't grip the gear cone, this is what spins the gear up to make it easy to get the gear, one way around this is to double de clutch (ask your Dad) :grinning:

A cheap solution, buy a Diesel gearbox and swap the diffs over, the gear ratios are slightly out, but i didn't notice when i fitted a diesel gearbox to my 225, in fact it was better at Spa :sunglasses::sunglasses:

6. Verified it was broken engine mount. All the problems are gone for now. Whole summer of driving and not a single issue with 4th gear.

manugtt and ianplymouth like this.