Cup Chassis

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by Ken, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Ken

Ken

Hi guys,

I am looking to a buy a Megane 3 RS 250/265 with the cup chassis. I found one at a suitable price, but can not tell for sure that it's on a cup chassis. It does have groove discs, but other than that it doesn't have much to suggest that it's a cup car from just looking at it. It doesn't have the little cup badges on the doors and when I did some checks online in various places, it doesn't have the word “Cup” in its model name like others do. Would appreciate it if the experts on here could point me to the right direction, many thanks.
    Ken

2. Link to advert may help. Cup badges were mainly put on ‘cup’ cars and not the normal sports with the cup pack option. But if like the clios of old, the cup badges were put on at dealerships and not all cups had them fitted. And the same with vechicle details, normal sports wont have cup in the description, as with cups it all depends on who registered the car registered it as a cup.

3. It might say cup on the sticker when you open the drivers door. I know mine says 265 trophy.
    General give away is the red brembo calipers

4. As you asked for help on here, maybe best that actually were to happen lol.

Some dodgy folks out there knowing that the main giveaway is the red calipers, but so many now have these fitted hiding the fact that there is no cup chassis installed. Beware of dodgy muppets, they are everywhere...:wink:

THE ONLY WAY FOR DEFINITE is to get the chassis number and call renault and ask them, or drop into your local service department with it. That way you can get a spec sheet and know for sure. I know of at least two people over the years I have spoken to who have bought 'cups' as they had red calipers only to find out they were misled. Although the sports are still a fantastic car and maybe slightly more complaint on the roads if you're not doing track days.

5. You could always take it out for a test drive & give it shit going around a bend. If you get around the bend it's a cup, if you go straight on it isnt.

Nick-ST and Jimbob 2705 like this.
  6. I had this query when buying a 275. Based on my research and replies to my thread there may be subtle differences between the 250/265/275 so my response is 275 specific.

Easiest way is if the original order forms for the car is avaliable. Mine was and showed it was a nav with cup pack.

As others have commented, red brembos are a giveaway. Discs seem to have changed between models. My car had smooth discs that I've upgraded to grooved. However when doing so my Renault dealer had to get the part number from an older model as nothing came up for the 275.

Look in the wheel arch at the suspension ...mine has coloured dots which apparently signifies it's a cup

At low speed turns the car skips which I've heard is the lsd but also heard it's a trait of the megane rs.

Finally on the test drive you may feel the diff pulling you round corners if you get on the power early. I've previously owned a focus St that I added a quaiffe diff to. The megane diff is much more aggressive and it can feel like the front is literally dragging the rear around corners.

Just my two pennies worth

evojkp likes this.
  7. Ken

Ken

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your help. I have ended up with a blue RS 250 Cup with recaros. I am pretty happy about the specs but it needs some works done to it. Any of you know what a clutch meant to feel like on a RS? On my car the bite point is pretty low and it bites really hard.

8. This! The diff is fab, it really does drag the car around corners that shouldn't be possible!