R26 Crank Thrust Washer failure - parts replaced, good idea?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by R55NA, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Bought this car 4 weeks ago (Private), 55,000 miles, and 2008. Completely stock.

One morning I had Clutch chatter when clutch pressed in. Immediately went home and booked in a new clutch/flywheel.

Get new clutch and flywheel fitted days later, and garage says the Crank was floating.

They open the sump and one of the washers was mangled at the base of the sump, with the other still in place.

They ordered two new ones, fitted them and told me not to worry about driving it. I am now paranoid its a ticking time bomb, after researching crank washer failures.

I cannot find any information anywhere of this happening to a R26, or 225 on Google.

To top it off, soon as I get the car back, within 5 miles the Driver Side Window Module fails.. I have always wanted an R26, but this has completely ruined that magic I had 2 weeks prior.

Shall I just cut my losses and sell it (webuyanycar) whilst it still moves, and buy a £300 banger?

2. If the washer Failed on the crank is usually and oil starvation of some sort, has this been diagnose, has the oil pump been check /changed at the same time?
    If not it will happen again, I would personally takes this engine out and refurb it/forge it and start fresh with a decent engine.
    Maybe it hasn't a good life of servicing before you, who knows,
    Do you have any service history when you bought the car?

R55NA likes this.
  3. It has had its regular 11k Service intervals throughout with stamps, but has been sat almost idle for a few years, doing 2/300 miles, a year, for the last decade.

Not sure if the Oil Pump has been checked/changed :disappointed: Can't afford a forge or rebuild at all, the car and recent job has cost a lot.

If I could get someone to just check the engine for damage, I would.

4. Well that's a new one on me, never heard of them failing, the previous owner must have driven everywhere with there foot on the clutch.
    When i stripped my 265 they were near perfect and that was with 114k miles on it.

I would very much doubt its an oil starvation problem as the big ends will be the first to go and then throw a con rod.
    The only time that thrush washers are used is when the clutch is pressed, as it pushes on the flywheel and crank.

The window modules are a common fail point on the Mk2, ebay has some that are an upgrade and i have bought some that have a life time warranty.

What are your intentions with the car, once you get to drive it, everything is second best.

R55NA likes this.
  5. I hope it isnt oil starvation, they didnt mention a lack of oil from the sump. They did say it wasnt all that clean though - despite the owner I bought it off saying he had done a service 4 month prior..

I will be taking it easy, when I do get to drive it, to bed in the clutch, and hope it doesnt fail again else I am screwed.

Main intention was to just drive it and enjoy it. My last car - Skoda VRS Mk1 - was so unenjoyable to drive, I hated getting in that thing every day. Just wish I could now enjoy this.

6. It won't be oil starvation, the rest would have died before now, oil is a concern but as long as its not like treacle it will still lubricate.

Bed a clutch in :dizzy: just dont do traffic light starts, or sit at the lights slipping the clutch, your car should be fitted with a handbrake, you can use that :laughing::laughing:

You will put up with the little faults when you get to drive it properly in anger :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

7. Sorry I thought you were speaking about something like a shim on the side of the crank, In automotive industry the thrust washer is called the slave cylinder, example of what engineers called a thrust washer (https://www.grainger.com/category/p...gs/thrust-bearings-and-washers/thrust-washers)

so yes you are right @ianplymouth no oil starvation issues, Obviously they didn't changed that slave cylinder then which I would by default when decoupling the gearbox from the engine, They can leak as they are quite a flimsy construction (thanks Renault) and then its back to square one with the risk of killing your new clutch if oil/ fluid gets on the clutch plate