Crank sensor change-R26.Thanks again Renault!

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by andrewjeffs, Feb 22, 2020.

1. The other day my R26 out of the blue, decided it wasnt going to start.
    Engine would just turn over and over with no fire at all.
    No engine management light on either.

A search of the internet threw up the most likely cause to be the crank sensor.
    As per usual,places like eurocarparts and GSF that are local to me ,had no listings for the sensor.

So had to order one from Ebay,using the Renaults part number as a reference.
    The brand was`Facet`...which after another search, seem to be a major Italian brand of ignition components,and was under £20 with a acceptable reputation.

Sensor..as per usual with Renault,is inaccessible from the engine bay,so it meant jacking the car up,and removal of the undertray.

Sensor is on the front of the gearbox casing,and i thought..great..2 min fix.
    Or not!...even with my tiny ratchet,the ratchet body fouls the fan surround infront of the 1 bolt holding the sensor on!..So you cant undoe the fkn thing.

Had to bend up a spanner all angles to clear the fan and the chassis,and undoe the thing 1 turn at a time!

A hour later,i had the new one in,and to my relief,the car fired first time and is running as normal.

Looking at the old one..it looks pretty knackered!. sensor.JPG
    Half the sensor has disintegrated over the years.

ianplymouth likes this.
  2. good fault finding and spannering there, really should have look state my sensor

3. well hopefully the sensors in a better location than the R26 with the mk3`s different gearbox!

4. It is in a slightly different position on a mk3, it's a little tight but doable, my 225 one i changed on the road with one wheel on a curb and crawled under :blush:

5. that must have been tight for getting the undertray off,and just working in general that close to the ground.Mine was up on 2 jacks!

6. Well the undertray was already off :laughing::laughing:

7. seems standard for the mk2`s undertray to be hanging off or missing.All down to the fixings tendancy to snap clean off,or rust inplace,necessitating the use of the angle grinder!

8. It was never fitted when i bought it, same when i sold it :laughing::laughing: