225 Cracks around wastgate

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Trophy451, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Hi .

Looking for a bit of advice as ive just removed the turbo to tap the decat stud hoes and have found some small hairline cracks around the hole the penny valve closes onto and on the exit to the exhaust .

Can these be braided or welded ??

Or is it a better idea to just get a hotside
    And replace that ??

uploadfromtaptalk1459353943430.jpg and replace ??
    uploadfromtaptalk1459353826010.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1459353900673.jpg

2. I personally wouldn't recommend welding anything that has a bearing in, as you could arch the bearing! And totally F up the turbo entirely.

3. Everyone that I've removed have had cracks in the hot side. I wouldn't worry too much if they are only hairline cracks.
    Lee

4. It's pretty far from the bearing to be fair but good advice mate cheers.

The reason I asked is that I've had similar welded (on scoobies) in the past and had no issues just wanted to check and see if anyone had tried on these.

5. Yeah they're hairline at worst, I'll get the stud holes tapped out tomorrow then sling it back together.

The turbo has been holding boost fine so fingers crossed it continues. I've got a receipt for it from Owen developments but doesn't say what was carried out or what it is so would prefer to hold onto it rather than replace unnecessarily

If not I now know that a decat fits out the bottom minus the rectangular subframe bar and a turbo does come off out the top with a bit of persuasion .:smiley:

6. If you cannot get a direct earth on the part your welding, which means the bearing isn't in contact, the supply goes through the bearing & bassically spot welds it.

7. Thats interesting never knew that pretty sure it was braised on my old cars using bronze wire .