225 crackle map whats it about

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by bbaxby, Sep 5, 2014.

1. hi has anyone on here had the crackle map? whats it all about does it improve performance aswell as making pop, crackle and flame?

cheers
    ben

2. I'd stay away from it , not the best thing for any engine

3. It won't damage the engine. Iirc it just pumps excess fuel to cause the bangs.

4. I had one for a bit on the meg. It was antisocially loud.
    It just runs crackers advance when off the throttle.

5. Yup.
    [video=youtube_share;ar74s17PF10]http://youtu.be/ar74s17PF10?list=UU6W1OXWh7ZgHA2YWt2ao0zQ[/video]

Had it since November last year, car is running fine (in a different chassis since then but hey)! It's all done off load so there is no strain on the engine and air/fuel is in safe limits too, etc.
    Crackles adds no extra performance its just for show, but it requires a decat which has great gains anyway.
    Just with 3" system, decat and induction I got 270 bhp/301 lbft.

Mine is anything over 4.5k revs you let off and feather it and it will fire away, does it on up shifts when booting it too.

It's a tad annoying on track though as you can imagine, your rev's are kept higher than usual seen here;
    [video=youtube_share;5l1T5nYj1nA]http://youtu.be/5l1T5nYj1nA?list=UU6W1OXWh7ZgHA2YWt2ao0zQ[/video]
    It was 84 db on the sound test @4.5k revs, it did bang when they were testing it too...whoops lol. It has straight though system now with 2 back boxes.

6. Pretty sure a few members over on CS have burnt out their exhaust valves with over run maps?

Either way the barest essential is a decat as the original would not last long.

7. Will an r26 not pop and crackle with a decat anyway?

8. It's sounds fooked to me,

9. Incorrect on so many points.

1: it WILL cause harm.
    2: it retards the ignition to between 5 and 20 degrees ATDC and runs at an afr of 22:1.

why will it damage the engine?
    Because the ignition has been retarded so far after TDC, it's actually still burning when the engine enters it's exhaust stroke. Which then means the already weak valves that are friction welded below the level of the valve guide will then be seeing EGT's in excess of 900degrees centrigrade. This is then fatiguing the factory weld. Next up on the extremely high Egt path is that little heat sink known as the turbo. This has no problem with seeing temperatures upto 850, anything higher and the hot side will start to develop cracks from The casting. Not to even mention the physical battering the turbine blades will be getting from a combustion going on in the housing. This will also be passing lateral loads down the shaft to the bearings.

10. That's how advice should be given!

11. I'll believe it when I see it...

At 22:1 there is no fuel to crackle, it sounds like someone is scare mongering.
    22:1 is the top range of an innovate meter and usually means it's in decel fueling and also if that's measured at the tailpipe at low rpm you won't see much fuel there.

Anyone measured Egt? I doubt it.

Lets be sensible here the about the side affects... Yes it's a given you'll wear out the exhaust baffles, kill lambda sensor sooner than normal...
    Its like everything, if you continually force it (or bang it over the head repeatedly in this case) it can overdo things.

12. I can post the datalogs if you want. I have all of them showing what they're doing AFR wise. I measure in the downpipe, as this gives a better reading for over run stuff like this. I can also post a few pictures of valve failures from cars that have run the over run cal that a tuner has mapped cars to.

22:1, will mean it's a lean burn, which is a slower burn than a burn at say 15.2 which is what you generally see at cruise. As it's a slower burn it means it's properly still burning when it's on the exhaust stroke.

Again, Egt's, maybe your tuner hasn't measured them. I have.

No scaremongering here. No need to. If you want genuine honest advice, then come to me, I'm not out for the hard sell, nor am I out here to make a quick buck. I enjoy doing a good job, knowing my customers are happy, and I usually actually work to save them money. Which is why I'm not minted like some other companies. I spend more than enough time correcting other companies fuck ups to have customers happy. On that note I've got a customer's clio 200 in currently, which was showing an AFR of 15.1-16.5 on WOT. Absolutely attrocious mapping. I put the car back to standard for the customer to start with and he reported back saying the car felt better, now I'm doing an engine health check first before I do my work on it, as I fear that damage has already been done.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014