250 Correct coolant?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Charlie Howard, May 1, 2018.

1. Charlie Howard

Charlie Howard RSM Club Member

What's the correct coolant to get for the 250? The stuff currently in mine is an orange/red colour but lots of people are saying it should be green now?

2. Yep you want the green type D Renault coolant.

3. Charlie Howard

And are they okay to mix because mine still has orange in it?

4. Some you can mix others not, cant remember green/pink, however Porsche, Fezza plus think Lambo use red/pink stuff so am thinking maybe for alloy block whereas green more suited to megane iron block

5. Charlie Howard

This means I'm going to have to drain mine and replace with the new green one. Wonderful.

6. I had some orange in mine from the factory too. Needed thermo replaced too so just took a bit of it out with syringe mixed with some green and left for a few days - no problem didn’t congeal at all . (Obv might be diff for you)

7. Charlie Howard

I just phoned Renault and they had never heard of an orange/red coolant. Apparently type D (the green/yellow) has been used since 2008. Might just flush it and use the type D. Sounds like a pain to do though.

8. Lol I had the same response! No one had ever heard of it! I wondered if I was imagining it.. Doesn’t massively suprise me tbh. Draining would be ideal but if unsure what’s in you should make sure you flush well too. Mine will get drained at some point anyway - just didn’t fancy getting underneath and getting covers off etc in the middle of winter.

9. Charlie Howard

What's involved in flushing? I've never changed coolant on a car before. I might do what someone suggested and mix a bit of the two in a bottle and see if anything happens over a week or so.

10. My 2010 250 had red coolant in (which was from new)

I’ve done two coolant flushes since, both times replacing with red coolant.

Are you sure it should be green coolant??

11. Charlie Howard

From everything I've seen it should be green, even Renault said the colour should be green/yellow. I don't know if mine was red/orange from new but it is at the moment.

How easy is it to flush?

12. Flush just with a hose and water until what comes out is clear . Usually bottom hose off rad to drain - unless there is a drain point somewhere on the block . I didn’t look in detail as just mixed up a bit and all was fine on mine

13. You can blame me for this. The Renault stuff is green.

On previous cars there's a drain plug on the radiator and a drain plug on the engine block somewhere.

14. Charlie Howard

Blame you for what?

15. I use a lot of the red coolant in my work, red is a 5 year long life coolant, the blue is 3 year standard coolant, i am running red in mine and not had a problem with it in 2 years

16. Yellow/green type D coolant is used by Renault here in Australia (??)

17. Mine had Red in it. I replaced the Thermostat and bought some from Ren. It was Green. I did not loose very much at all. So topped up with water until a flush is due in the next couple of months.

18. Charlie Howard

I've heard a lot of people changing the thermostat, why is that?

19. First thing i checked after reading on here when i got my car a month ago.

Doesnt get up to temp or causes revving issues i only had the former and had read about it on here so for piece of mind got it changed. On the RS monitor in mine would struggle to get above 78 degrees on the oil temp and the needle would go down to half way.

Had it changed 2 weeks ago now gets up to temp quicker and see it go over 78 as it should and the temp need sticks a slight bit to the left which is normal for 250's I believe 265 and newer sit on the middle line bang on. best thing i did for a £30 part on offer at the time

20. Charlie Howard

Might change mine when I do the coolant then just to prevent any issues in the future. Got a part number?

21. Charlie Howard

Thanks!

Canky likes this.
  22. How much coolant is required for a flush

23. The coolant system has a capacity of 6.5 liters

24. Can do yourself bit of a pain, have to unclip pipe under car to drain/ put back on it’s a bit fiddly. Get coolant from any Renault dealer. Be careful as can get air locks when refilling, helps if you have someone who knows what they are doing. I did this myself because I think Renault quote a bomb for replacing coolant in schedule service. Supposed to be done every 5 years according to schedule I think. Bet there’s plenty of cars out there never had it done because of the cost.

25. Does anyone use water wetter rather than anti freeze. I know it's better for spilling on track but not so great for our cold winters