R26 Correct coolant temperature

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Dale1uk, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Hi guys,

What's the correct coolant temperature on an R26? I'm monitoring mine via the Torque Pro app and it holds a pretty steady 82c. It goes higher if left to idle, or stuck in traffic for a while, but quickly drops off when moving again, though doesn't drop lower than 80c.

Normally I'd expect the coolant temp to be around the 90-95ish mark. The obvious cause of mine being lower would be the thermostat sticking open, however it heats up quickly and doesn't drop under 80c. Is fitting a cool running thermostat something that's done on the Meganes? Only owned the car a month but is modified (turbo back 3" KTR exhaust, KTR induction kit, 630cc injectors, Forge intercooler, remapped to around 270bhp) though there's no mention of a different thermostat being fitted in the pile of paperwork I have for it.

Are there any benefits of the coolant sitting around 82c, or am I better off swapping the thermostat out for a genuine Renault one?

Cheers

grantw likes this.
  2. My R26 runs around 80 most of the time, hotter 90+ when idling

3. Oh, that's interesting. Maybe 80ish°c is the norm then and not low like I thought?

Anyone else know what temps their coolant is running?

4. Pretty sure it's meant to be 87-89 on the r26 and 84-85 on the mk3 don't quote me though, have a search on here I'm sure it'll have been discussed before as they are prone to going

5. Well I'd expect the standard thermostat to open at 89°c and keep the coolant at 90ish. I do know that you can get cool running thermostats that open at 82°c, which would give reading that I'm seeing but it doesn't appear to be a common route to take on these.

I'll be taking the car to RS Tuning next month for a health check before I book onto some trackdays so will see what they say.

FOR reference, with the coolant at 82°c the temperature gauge needle on mine sits bang on the line left of centre

6. My turbo clio wud run at circa 82 driving normally. 80/90 would be pretty normal tbh dude.what u wana worry about is wether the fan kicks in and keeps the temps good in traffic,that would be my only concern unless ure full warm temps are or lower than 70 in that case thermostat maybe faultly.

7. My Clio runs on the line, left of centre, at around 88deg on the scan gauge. I have an override fan switch, just in case.