Coolant Leak?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by john45bryan, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Evening all,

I think my Megane is leaking coolant. The temp needle is constantly flickering, and every morning I walk out to a puddle of 'something' under my front bumper in the middle.

I have ran the car until the coolant was boiling and put it on stands, but I can only see water stains on the pipe but I cant see where they come from.

Is there an easier way to test which pipe it is? I don't fancy replacing them all.

Thanks

2. I think the meganes are prone to radiator leaks so may not be as easy as a hose I'm afraid. Any garage can pressure test the cooling system to identify the leaky area.

3. If you had coolant changed recently, it may be air lock in the system. I had the same problem with Laguna. Liquid under the car comes usually from AC.

4. As above, check the radiator for leaks rather than the pipes.

5. The bottom left of the radiator is constantly damp, I assumed it would be condensation.

It could be a new radiator then!

6. Mine was the same with the bottom left being wet. I put radweld in mine & it was ok again for another 3 years until I sold it.
    Lee

7. New rad, make sure you buy a genuine renault part not a ECP shite one

8. Cheers for the replies guys!

is it worth upgrading the radiator, whilst I've got the front end off or just swap like for like?

The car is only at stage 1 at the moment, and it will be staying like that until I get a 2nd car as a daily.

9. If I were replacing the rad I'd stick an alloy uprated one in just for the convenience, but I doubt it's needed in anything but a 400bhp track beast.

10. Incorrect. A hybrid motor on a hot day on a long track will cause temps to go high.