Coolant in coils

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Mac_TCe, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Hello guys.. I have Megane 3 2.0tce 180hp which is also f4rt engine..
    I have a coolant loss, about 300gr on a 1.000km.
    Check Photos
    Sometimes when I start the engine it sounds like it runs on 3 cylinders only, and I get a blinking check light with a missfire error, and a strange smell from the exhaust, like it's getting watter inside the engine.
    I have noticed some antifreeze drops on the coils from that third cylinder..
    I really need some help, because this is going for 7 months and a mechanic told me that it might be the engine head but I don't know..

Attached Files:

2. Hello, I have just had a similar fault but mine is not coolant. Tope of engine was grubby with oil mist from the breather pipe leaking. No running faults but thought I would pull the coils out to clean to top of the engine. I did find cylinder 2 had water in there but it had dried out and was brown and rusty looking. Cylinder 1 had around 2 inches of clean water in there ! I think water from washing the car or rain could be getting in there as the under bonnet sound proofing has water marks around the edges. It has left white water limescale like marks on the edges. I have cleaned it all up and replaced the plugs so its back together again.

Will monitor it now over the next few miles once I can get out to drive it !

Attached Files:

3. cant see how it can be anti freeze the the spark plug apertures..No way for anti freeze to get in there.
    what are the rubber seals like on your pencil coils?...this should be how water is getting in,as they just lose the seal,and let the water in.
    This will be causing your misfire with all that moisture and rusty filth, causing a bad connection on the plug and coil.
    Do you have the engine cover on?..as this help to keep water away from the plugs.

my own pencil coil seals do exactly the same..not so much water..but they do let moisture in.
    I have just ordered 4 NGK coils for under £80

manugtt and Poppaboost like this.
  4. Have you got a link for that Andrew I’m about to change mine too.

5. Attached Files:

6. You could apply some silicone grease to the seals to help prevent water ingress

andrewjeffs likes this.
  7. Good advice Chris and yes I did. The fact its all clean now I can see if there is any water getting on there. I think as my drive is on a slope it finds its way in there. I have removed the under bonnet sound proofing as it was falling a part due to the ingress. Might have been a leak from washer jets too as in the same area.

8. they just get so brittle..one of mine has totally fallen to bits.

9. yeah..thats a good idea chris..

10. to be fair the Beru items have been going ok in my car for 13 years!..so i cant complain.I got the NGK because of them being UK stock.

11. Mine looked similar when I bought it, probably the engine was washed and the watter went inside..
    I've changed all 4 spark plugs and coils and everything was ok for a while except the coolant loss.. And I have the engine cover on.
    When I drive it for a while and let it cool down for at least 2 hours, or over night and then fire it up again, it starts on three cylinders only for a couple of seconds, sometimes with a blinking check light.. Like it has watter inside the third cyl, and it needs a few seconds to burn it in the exhaust..
    Forgot to mention that the oil is the same for 7000km, maybe 100gr down but it's ok
    I really like this car and I want to keep it for a while..

12. If you drive your car as you would normally, then after the 2hrs or overnight, then before you start the engine, remove the spark plug/s, reconnect the coils and put the plugs back in the coils and rest them on the top of the engine, it would be good if you can get someone to push the start button while you watch, don't hang your head over the top of the engine though.

then tell us what you see or video

13. I've been changing my cabin filter today.. and I found this.. It's quite greasy..
    What comes trough this?? The sponge is greasy too..

Attached Files:

14. Hard to say, but have you been loosing coolant ????
    I wouldn't think it was from the air con drain, as it should just be water, if it's sticky it sounds like coolant

15. could be leaking heater matrix which is not ideal by any means

16. Yes, its quite sticky, like oil...
    And yes, I've been loosing coolant about 600ml per month.. And my A/C is not cooling...
    Tomorrow I want to check deeper behind the turbo, but I think only heater core hoses are going trough there..
    How A/C freon looks like? Is it like oil?

17. yes typically green and oily, believe need take out whole dash to access heater matrix

18. There is a green oil like substance in the air con pump itself, so it might have pushed that through the system, but you would have to have a leak in the core, but if your loosing coolant then i would say the heater matrix is leaking.

I would get a coolant pressure tester kit, clean up the mess and pressurise the system and look to see if its leaking in that area

19. My old spark plug with only 5.000 km looks like this.. only on third cyl..
    Why is that bottom circle electrode yellow?? On the other 3 cylinders it's white, like it supose to be..

Attached Files:

20. these reno's are plagued with large gap at front bonnet that lets in water (or if wash engine) and fact the seal around top of coil packs is not what could be and allows water to seep down plug hole. the image of rusty plug stem is sure sign of water ingress around the coil pack

21. yep..the coil seals get cooked,and go brittle..just replaced my coils..all the seals non-existent..

Justinjgy likes this.
  22. So it turns out the worst scenario.. I have a crack on the cylinder head, and now I can't find one..
    Will it fit from the RS models?? Is there anybody to offer?? Any kind of help would be great..

Attached Files:

23. Do you have the head, there should be a number on the side of it somewhere, more than likely will start with 820xxxxxx
    I have a Clio 200 head, it will fit as i had it on my 250 in my 225.