Cold Start Misfire

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by pick, Jul 17, 2021.

1. Hi,

Before I take my car into a garage for the above problem, just wondered if anyone else has had this issue ?
    Car is 2016 Megane Cup S, approx 20,000 miles and has been serviced thus far by Renault dealers.
    Issue only appears on totally cold start, ie: overnight. Car starts as usual but revs 'blip' upto approx 2000rpm, then drop straight down to approx 15/1600 rpm (which is higher than previously) when car then starts to misfire. Revs will then drop to approx 1200 as car warms up a little and misfire will then stop and I can then drive off. Attempting to drive off before revs drop car will misfire and attempt to cut out unless slipping clutch with significant revs. 30/40 secs after driving off, car has obviously warmed a little and problem goes.
    However, sometimes on cold start, car will blip on start up as usual, revs will drop to 1200 rpm (totally cold engine again ) and there will be no misfire which is how it was before the 'problem' appeared , so it can be intermittent. If car has been left a few hours then it starts as normal and no sign of any misfire. Car also seems to drive fine once this initial problem has cleared. When it does misfire sat idling initially, there seems to be a strong smell of petrol from the exhaust ( with window open but could be imagining it lol ). Can't really remember but think I had this problem a few years ago but car was under warranty then and was addressed at a service where dealer said the had reset the injectors ?
    Anyway, hope the above is somewhat understandable ( lol ) and if anyone has had this issue or knows what is causing it would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.
    Car is not due a service until next April ( 6 years ) and has always been run on superunleaded.

2. Sticky thermostat maybe?

3. If you had the issue a few years ago, call Renault and ask for information on your warranty claims. That might point you to it

4. Just for info/if anyone else has this problem in the future, I have taken the car to Ren-Sport in Middlesbrough whose diagnostics say it is a throttle body fault. Cleared fault and car seems ok at the moment but will probably need a new throttle body at some point. Guessing that's what Renault dealer did previously ( cleared fault ) as maybe they didn't want to replace under warranty. First time at Ren-Sport and seem to know their stuff re; Renaults and prices seem ok as well - had new front discs and pads fitted while there ( I bought the discs and pads myself ) also.

Mr Spoon and matt e like this.