Coilpack melted 265

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Cameron, Jan 26, 2024.

1. Hi All,

Car started misfiring and I pulled over- the coil has totally melted into the spark plug, i'm just away to get it towed to a garage- looks like the sparkplug is damaged as-well. I dont know if the threads are damaged or the alignment of the plug is

Any idea on what would cause this? Wasn't driving hard and havnt had any engine issues with the car - 80km milage.

Should I be concerned that there might be engine damage?

2. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

I wouldn't be overly worried, it sounds like the wire inside the coil has shorted out, it probably the plastic that has melted and stuck to the plug once it's cooled down.
    I very much doubt that the threads are damaged, if the issue was there then you would have noticed something earlier

3. Ahhhh,

So the threads are damaged/stripped on the spark plugs, garage wont touch it.

Does anyone have any experience in this ? No idea on best option, some people have suggested re-tapping and others new cylinder head

4. ianplymouth

Okay that's not good, who changed the plugs last ?????, they have not tightened it or over tightened it.

Are the other plugs tight or loose ???

It's defiantly a head off job, 2 choices.

1, replacement head
    2, remove and find a good engineering company that can weld and re-tap the plug hole, or fit a sleeve.

I would not Helicoil it personally

5. Im not sure who changed it last , ive had the car for 4 years and haven't changed them, In fact I was away to change them next month , its sods law.

Ok- so replacement head, is this a whole engine out job- what does it involve?

Im not massively technical, I can do the odd job but probably not confident on larger ones, so trying to get an idea of labour costs.
    The car is 2012,80km miles- if we are getting into the 5k region I dont know if it makes financial sense

I actually have found a few local engineering films that could maybe do this kind of work, but as you say I would need to take the head off

6. ianplymouth

First thing is where abouts are you ???

Yes it's an engine out job ideally, i have taken the head off of one before it took an absolute age, this is all because of the lack of space to get at the bolts etc, i ended up pulling the engine just for the access when it's on the floor.

I can get these engines out in about 2-4 hrs depending on who seized some bolts are.

If you are pulling the head off then i would strongly recommend replacing the valves and valve springs, they are a weak point.

Also while its out it might be worth considering forging it, it would then be future proof for anything.

7. Im located in Aberdeen Scotland, the only place I know of that might be ok is rentec in Edinburgh. Going to call them today and see what they would charge, unsure of any places in Aberdeen that would be reasonably priced to undertake the work but going to phone around

8. ianplymouth

Ohh that's going to be a big bill then
    that's a shame. i could have done it, but i'm the other end of the country

Cameron likes this.
  9. Just to update you- rentec took the head off and took it to a machinest and refitted with new tapped head- was pretty reasonable aswell- only 200 quid!

eduardbooster likes this.