265 Coilover thoughts - AST, Nitron or Bilstein

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by DV8, Aug 7, 2020.

1. DV8

DV8

Been looking at Coilovers recently and wondered what peoples thoughts are.

Want something a bit stiffer than grams and cup shock setup I'm currently running but don't want to go too mad into track only. Was thinking something like 70nm front and rear on the springs.

Been looking at AST5100, Nitron NTR R1 or Bilstein Clubsports.

Anyone run any of these for a while and have an option? Particularly for the Clubsports?

Currently leaning towards AST just due to the cheaper cost but also want something that's going to last (I'm not expecting OEM shock durability here obviously).

2. What about the bc coilovers

3. DV8

DV8

I ran them on my civic and thought they were 'OK'. They're not off the table though.

4. I think KW Clubsport works well. Is probably also cheaper than your other alternatives.

5. DV8

DV8

It was on my list but never been a massive fan of KW. Many people running them on here?

6. Raeder/manthey recommends them and they have built quite a few fast cars on the nurburgring.

7. DV8

DV8

Touche! Still interested to hear some personal experiences though... :wink:

8. I have them fitted with harder springs, no problem to go on the street with the car even though I rarely do. I think they are great for the money, the next step is probably R3 but it is a different price range.

9. I run BC's on my 265 and they are great on the road, if anything there not as good as they were on my 225 on track, but for the money if your not a serious track goer then they get my thumbs up.

10. I have an AST set-up with bespoke springs supplied and fitted by Cooksport of Radstock, near Bath - very professional and helpful. Remember the better the damping, the less you need very stiff springs. It depends on what you want to do with the car, but whatever your choice ensure that it gives you adequate wheel travel

11. I think for the price there very good but obviously if your spending 2K on coilovers they will be better

12. Running KW Clubsport 2-way but I only drive the Nordschleife and the GP track occasionally. There's not much to say about it other than you'd have to go for the harder springs (90 or 110) and I'd suggest 1 degree camber plates on the rear. The KW set feels good but I can't compare it to the others you listed.

13. ive got AST 5100 on my R26, love them, but need looking after and a service isn't cheap. Cooksport provide top level customer care

14. While not track-orientated Clubsports because I use my car mainly on normal roads, I'm very happy with my KW V3's, the car is just as low as it was on it's previous H&R springs but the dampening is just so much better. Car feels very solid. Other reason I chose KW is because I was told they barely need servicing. Very happy KW-owner here but got nothing to compare them to to be honest.

Mish View and sunnylunn like this.
  15. I would say unless your doing serious racing then KW Clubsports

16. i drove ians car on the road,and was actually amazed how good the damping was with his BC`S.
    Certainly more compliant ride than my R26 on a brand new OEM set up.

17. Thanks Andrew, i do think they are a little bit too soft for track work now, i normally turn them up to 20/25+ clicks on track, even at the ring i turned them up, whereas the BC's on my 225 had to be on 5/10 any more is would jump around to much, on the road it is very pleasant place to be in the 265

18. this is it..on the road you need to have that degree of travel.A tricky thing to pull off...a suspension package that can do both track, and road work ,in equal measure.

19. DV8

DV8

What spring rate did you go for?

I was looking at getting ASTs via cooksport as they offered to do the strut top widening for camber adjustment at the same time.

Hmmm maybe I should look into the KW set a bit more. Shame no-one has tried the Bilstein setup.

Good to hear, Cooksport seem great. What kind of looking after are we talking?

The fact they don't need as much care is appealing...

:grinning:

20. 10kg front and rear

DV8 likes this.
  21. JJZ

JJZ

has anybody heard of these yellow speed racing coilovers they do them for the 225/r26 they got good reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Both sets of my ASTs rode massively better then the BCs the car ended up on to sell and that was with 8/8 on 5100s then 10/10 on the 5200s vs the 10/8 on the BCs

It's definitely worth spending the extra on a better damper. BCs ride pretty crap on the road, I don't understand the hype behind them. My E92 has them as well, previous owner put them on and as soon as I have the cash I'll be getting something better

23. JJZ

JJZ

it’s very hard to pick the right coilovers but you are right there jamie bc do get a lot of praise can’t speak for myself because never tried them and it’s hard to go with reviews as well it’s not like you can test all coilovers then pick them which would be nice if you could.

24. well yours were rebuilt before you sold them, then they had to go back twice for problems with knocking/sticking after and the guy doesn't really drive it and definitely doesn't track it, they have to be serviced annually as well so they say, i haven't touched mine apart from adjusting the damping when i get to the track.

The BC's on my 265 are a massive improvement in ride comfort over the ones i had on the 225, but i feel the 225 was better on track with them than the 265 is even though they are 10kg each end, the 225 had 8kg front and rear.

I haven't tried any other coilovers but with the ASt's at least 3 times the price are they 3 times better, i really don't think so

JJZ likes this.
  25. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Eh? His car is spec'd for track ffs [emoji23]

Yeah they needed rebuilt but that's got nothing to do with the ride or performance of them lol. Every decent damper will need a rebuild at some point

You've said it yourself you havnt tried any others so can't really comment can you? They are definitely worth the extra. Ride better on the road, are a far higher quality part, Damping is leagues ahead of the BCs and you definitely can tell that even on a smooth circuit, BCs don't ride kerbs anywhere near as well

Fair enough if you like the BCs, but they are definitely Asia, budget spec dampers. They go stiff and have camber topmounts and that's about it [emoji23]

26. DV8

DV8

I think I'm somewhere between KW clubsports and the ASTs at the moment. I think I'd fit the ASTs with those protective socks to keep them going as long as possible.

Does anyone know what spring rates the KW Clubsports come with out of the box?

27. This is an interesting read.
    I’m curious to know how different set up compare. I opted for cooksport springs on new cup shocks and it’s fine on track but rubbish on a bumpy B road blast. I’m contemplating kw clubsports.

im not a fan of bc having experienced them on my evo 6. They were too soft so upped the springs rates but then it just Lurched around. And with little suspension travel they were terrible in the welsh mountain roads. Then I opted for exe-tc coilovers. These have a stock like travel so good on the road and plenty of adjustment to stiffen it up on track. I’m wondering if kw will be similar.

28. I don’t think a bad or a good experience with a brand on one car necessarily translates to the same on another. I found KW v3s too stiff on my Porsche but I’m sure they probably work fine on some other cars. By the way if you significantly up the spring rates without re-valving the damping then you will end up with a mismatched and under-damped setup.

29. JJZ

JJZ

i’m considering bc coilovers for road and track use couple of times the only way to find out if i like them is to bite the bullet and purchase them.

30. i really liked them on my 225, 8kg front and rear, just remember to only run 5 clicks max front and rear on the road :laughing::laughing:

31. JJZ

JJZ

cheers ian i just think these cars are getting old now and parts need either refurbishing or replacing things like suspension all bushes i replaced the springs a year ago with cooksports there good but i think it’s time to change the struts now. laughing laughing......[emoji12]

32. Go for it makes a big difference, i used to change the suspension arms ball joints all the time, the other bushes were polybushes :laughing::laughing:

33. JJZ

JJZ

iv just ordered one of these ian for the gearbox mount next to gear linkage from racing flex in poland £80 quid not bad i’m slowly getting jobs done mate bit by bit it takes time. laughing laughing...... 1496ced6edc6e5b4e9cb1fd26d457169.jpg

34. lets hope its not to hard and causes vibration..yellow powerflex in mine courtesy of the ianplymouth!
    no vibration issues.

ianplymouth likes this.
  35. I think there too harsh, got a R26 in bits at the moment for a friend, (suspect ring land failure) only drove it 100 ft and the whole car vibrates even on idle, there's also no give when you let the clutch out, i sill have the standard mounts in my 265, all i have done is fill the top and lower mounts with 3m marine sealer :laughing::laughing::laughing:

36. JJZ

JJZ

well i was thinking of buying the powerflex inserts but these seem better quality and replaces the whole mount we’ll see if it’s to hard or not i’ll let you know. crying crying..... [emoji2357]

37. JJZ

JJZ

what’s going on ian with your friends r26 why has it got ring land failure.

38. He thought it had, iv'e stripped it and it's fine, its blue smoking after idling the engine inside is very dark (burnt oil) the liners are also dark ish, so i'm going to hone the bores, fit new rings and valve stem oil seals, turbo is perfect so it's not that.

39. JJZ

JJZ

ah right so your just eliminating probabal causes as you go along has it been mapped if so maybe that could of caused these issues that he’s having or engine is tired.