R26 Clutch slip :(

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Matt-f1, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Hello,

my clutch started to slip today so I'm guessing its time to change!!

My cars got a stage 2 remap if I was to upgrade to a r26r single mass flywheel would I need to get the car mapped again??

what would you recommend to buy rs tunning or ktec flywheel?

what sort of price would I be looking at for fitting?

Cheers matt

2. You won't need a remap again. Get the smf from rstuning and your looking at £530 for parts and £200 for fitting from Mark Black. R26R clutch from Adam at Renault Wolverhampton and the slave cylinder from ecp. Job done

3. Worth just checking that the pedal return spring hasn't snapped and it's simply the pedal holding the clutch partially engaged. This happened to me and I had nearly purchased a DMF and clutch kit before I realised it was just the £2.50 spring!

Mowzer likes this.
  4. Ok thanks for the reply's

5. Just for clarity , there ISNT such a thing as a SMF for the R26R. All were dual mass.

You are thinking along the lines of SMF , with R26R clutch and coverplate.

6. Oh right yeah that's what I meant!

7. Out of interest how does the R26.R clutch differ from the standard 225/230 clutch?

8. Alleged 20% more clamping force on the cover plate. Actual clutch plate - no idea.

9. its pretty funny this, has any of u ever checked the part numbers?

they are identical clutches, however ktec only do an uprated r26.r clutch that FITS the megane 225/230 they dont do an uprated clutch for the 225/230 specific, hence its named r26.r

10. When I compared the clutch out of my r26.r and the one out my r26 side by side they were identical with identical part numbers.

11. I can clear a few points up seeing as I've just done the change myself.

Whilst you're correct in saying all standard flywheels were dual mass.
    There is a specific SMF to fit the R26.R clutch.

Are they though?

When ordering said parts from anywhere, the part numbers are different.. I shopped around a number of places for an R26.R clutch kit, and the part numbers were definitely different to that of the standard 225.

To the OP, whether you decide to go the R26.R route (no reason you wouldn't to be honest as the prices are the same..) just ensure that you get parts that are compatible.

Either standard 225 DMF/225 SMF + 225 clutch or R26.R DMF/R26.R SMF + R26.R clutch as mixing and matching won't work as the clutch will not physically fit the flywheel.

12. .

13. I've changed my clutch 2 months ago and like I said the r26 and .r both came out of the factory with identical clutches

14. I'm sure you will find the R clutch has 20% more clamping force than the R26 clutch, but only on the later R26.Rs, the earlier R26.Rs came with the same clutch as an R26

martin1977 likes this.
  15. As above.

That's incorrect, later .R's had a different clutch.

If you looked into it a little more, you'd see that the 225/R26 have a different flywheel to the R26.R.
    This is because the clutch pressure plate is different. (Or the pressure plate is different because the flywheel is different, either way, it's different).
    The pressure plate from a 225 will not fit an R26.R flywheel, and vice versa.

Even looking around K-Tec's website will tell you that..

http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=3737&appid=12

16. Early r26.r has the same flywheel and clutch as a r26?
    Mine must have been an early one then 58 plate

17. Yep same as mine 58 plate josh

18. i got a part number from a 59 plate r26.r and it was same clutch/flywheel as my megane f1 team, im sure 59 would be classed as a later model? i dont need to look at k teks website i got it directly from renaults computers...

19. 09 onwards r26.r has a different clutch and flywheel. to the rest of the range.

20. Wonder why they went to all the bother of changing the spec of both clutch and flywheel so late in the meganes production, it was obviously up to the job until then.

21. mek

mek