265 Clutch replacement diy

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by rick293, Jan 11, 2022.

1. Hi all,

Im going to replace the clutch in my 265. Its on 109k and just isn't feeling fresh. Doesn't slip but doesn't have a nice engagment. I have changed a few renault clutches in clios, modus, master and a dci mk3 megane.

In the DCI megane, I was able to remove the radiator support and move the gearbox out of the way enough to replace the clutch. Can I do the same in the RS or does the box need dropped out? .

Thanks,
    Rick

2. I haven’t done a 265 but I have done an r26 and box needs to come out. Looking at the 265 I don’t see anyway the box wouldn’t need to be taken out and from what I’ve heard it’s a pretty heavy box if your doing it yourself.

3. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

I have done a clutch on my 265, but i just pulled the engine and box out complete, i don't have a ramp just axle stands.
    As Yorkie says the box is heavy, bloody heavy.
    I would say you will need to be built like a gorilla or have a couple of strong mates to hand, unless you have a ramp and a gearbox jack.

I'm sure you have to remove the subframe or lower it a good way to get the box out.

I could get the engine out and on the floor in about 3 hrs, then you can stand over the box and lift it, its just not lifting it, it's also trying to line up the splines on the shaft with the clutch plate.

Good luck :laughing::laughing:

4. I did the r26 on axel stands by myself and trying to lift that box and line it up was really hard work. I got mark black to do the next one I needed doing

5. Just to add Mark drops the steering rack out and it creates so much more room to work. He says he does it on most stuff he works on.

6. Yea the boxes are heavy. I've done a clutch in a master and its basically the same box.

I'll be doing it on axle stands in a garage. Sadly I haven't a ramp.

Just was wondering what is involved before I start at it.

7. Drop the subframe, its easy enough and gives loads of room. Box is a big lump, but i had no issues removing and refitting with the car on axle stands using a decent trolley jack.

rick293 likes this.
  8. Did you remove or just drop the subframe?

What did you do with the steering rack?

9. I have done many clutch replacement in the garage where I work, in fact, I am the only worker who do that job. Never had to remove the subframe where is the steering rack, only the front part, the radiator one I mean. You should have enough room to drop the gear box.

10. Drop full subframe. Just undo the steering rack at the column uj and leave it bolted to the subframe.

11. Was this in a mk3 RS?

12. No Rick, that was in a Scenic, Espace or normal Megs. But I think can´t be much different about room.

13. For anyone else wondering. I had to remove the subframe. I can’t see any other way the gearbox could move enough to let the clutch out. Subframe removed and gearbox out.

Nearly got caught out by the exhaust bracket near the flexi onto the subframe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk