225 Clutch Release Bearing

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Mike, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Sudden vibration through the pedal and a grinding noise when depressing the clutch on Saturday, so drove back home and called breakdown. They guy almost immediately diagnosed that the clutch release bearing was about to give, and recommended I don't drive it except to the garage. So it's currently at the garage waiting to be fixed. Anyone else had this happen to them? I was told it was a cheap part but it's gearbox out to fit, so factor in a few hours labour. The car has only done 26k so I wasn't going to fit a new clutch kit, unless anyone advises otherwise?

2. Markblack@MRS

Markblack@MRS RSM Trader

You may as well get them to take it off and have a look at the clutch and flywheel at the same time

3. Thanks for the reply Mark. Does anyone have an idea of the book time for this?

4. 6.5-8 hours. Your mad if you don't change the clutch and flywheel too whilst its all off. Get them to threadlock the release bearing bolts in too seen a few that have made a bid for freedom and they make a mess going round the bellhousing.

5. Thank you.

I haven't bought the car with the intention on running it on a budget, but is the clutch and flywheel really worth changing at 26k? I may be wrong but they should last a while yet? I've owned it a month and it's already cost me over 1k. Typical as I've known it since new and it never missed a beat until I bought it lol!

6. It's up to you at the end of the day but I would just for the oppertunity. If you are confident it'll last then leave it be.

7. I deffinatley wouldn't leave the clutch, that should be changed, but providing the DMF is in good condition then id leave it.

8. Considering DMF failure seems to be a common issue I'd be considering my options there as well.

9. Decided to have the clutch done too, without the DMF unless the garage recommend it on inspection. I will be paying just under £1k, without the DMF. Does this sound reasonable?

10. Markblack@MRS

Markblack@MRS RSM Trader

Holy shit
    I can do the clutch flywheel and release bearing for less than that
    And I'd pick it up and drop it off

11. Out of interest, how much would you have charged Mark? I'll bear it in mind for future. I've heard a clutch and DMF was between £1300-£1600 at a main dealers so I didn't think that was too bad. I was a bit caught with not being able to drive - I've already had it recovered to BTM once this month already...

12. Who is it with now?

13. Markblack@MRS

Markblack@MRS RSM Trader

For a full luk kit Same as renault parts i charge £700 fitted

That includes
    Cutch kit
    Fly wheel
    Release bearing
    Box oil
    And labour

14. Not taken it to Fred, it's at Goscote Services Renault. I know the garage so it's being looked after.

That's a very good price. I got quoted £350 for the flywheel alone!

15. Mark can you get hold of a single mass fly? Perhaps the Valeo Motorsport one which I think Gavin has fitted. How much extra would it be?

16. Having a DMF fitted too - apparently it's knackered... :/

17. Not surprising. I personally would have went for an SMF though.

18. I know they can be a common issue, but at under 27k miles it's surprised me...

Read up on the pros and cons of the SMF but I won't be taking this anywhere beyond Stage 1, may as well stick to the OEM DMF.