clutch query.

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by poppap7, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Hello all. Just trying to put my mind at rest really...here goes. Just recently returned from a family holiday in France.... car ran remarkable, even though usually heavily laden and got lots of positive interest from the locals. Anyway on the return journey I got a bit of clutch slip on our motorways.... again, car fully loaded plus 3 passengers. It started to spin as the boost came on in the higher gears. The day after it did the same. Car had a new clutch, dmf etc etc only a year back, doesn't get abused but does have an Rs stage 1 remap plus other minor mods....so only about 260/260. Driven car most days since and no slip! Overheated....too much weight, glazed clutch....any ideas please?

2. It does sound quite a bit like an overheating clutch. If it was glazed, then to clean it up you just need to use it for a while and avoid slipping it all, it should eventually clean up (e.g pretty much dropping the clutch all the time!). Given that a new clutch was fitted last year, I am guessing that they replaced the hydraulic brake/clutch fluid (they are both on the same network). Have you had the clutch fluid bled properly? Not sure of the symptoms on the meg clutch, but when the fluid gets hot any air bubbles present will have a much bigger effect than usual.

3. Thanks pal...yeah fluid replaced and more recently upgraded by Mark black...I'm sure whatever the issue was it's sorted now. But just wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar. Thanks again.

4. Was it replaced with a standard setup ?

5. It was andy. I know that was possibly foolhardy but my missus drives car more than me...

6. I would test again under WOT and high gears ( mine slipped then as well ) with less car load ..

7. Cheers Andy, I always enjoy your response's....but what is WOT?

8. Wide open throttle x

9. WOT = wide open throttle, basically give it the beans and as Andy says high gears. Or get on a dual carriage way get into 5th or 6th and accelerate from around 40. If the revs raise and the car doesn't accelerate sadly you may have clutch problems again.

10. Unfortunately if it's doing it at this time of year it'll probably get worse in the winter.

11. Thanks. I think ?

12. Oh. Thankyou chaps....as it happens, I did this last night with a rather chunky co-pilot (sorry Paul G), and the car performed perfectly.

13. Thanks indeed. Always appreciate a blunt, sarcastic when necessary response. You help make this place fun.

14. Thanks indeed. Always appreciate a blunt, sarcastic when necessary response. You help make this place fun.