Clutch bolt sheared - spot the problem

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by james.moseley.37, Dec 10, 2023.

1. Evening folks,

Well this issue is something I’ve never seen before, so I wanted to firstly post up some pics to see if anyone eagle-eyed enough can spot the problem that has led to me shearing a bolt for my clutch pressure plate. For reference, these are genuine Renault bolts from a dealer:

IMG_1102.jpeg IMG_1101.jpeg

2. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

looks like they have been over tightened, there only done up to about 12nm

3. Here’s a clue, I’m not convinced that this is due to overtightening, it looks as though the thread hasn’t been cut evenly. Interested to hear opinions on this one. For reference, I was using a torque wrench.

IMG_1106.jpeg

4. Argh, now you say it, I’ve checked the torque figure you’ve quoted and it looks like I’ve used the wrong one. I was working to 20Nm. Balls.

Although I would say, I don’t know what torque the bolts started to fail at, as the torque wrench hadn’t clicked yet, so that doesn’t seem like much margin for error.

5. Thats definitely over torqued.. The thread gap is where the bolt has stretched :grimacing:

6. Could be over torqued but when ordered my clutch kit and SMF for my old R26 from a well-known supplier I was told to avoid the new clutch bolts from Renault as they changed them at some point and are prone to snapping now and to just re-use the old bolts.

I was advised to change the flywheel bolts but not these.

7. Interesting, that certainly ties in with what I’ve experienced - they seemed to fail far too easily as I can’t have been far over the tightening torque. Hey ho, bought some longer 12.9 bolts from a hardware supplier which should be more than adequate!