265 Clunking sound

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by goober, Feb 26, 2020.

1. I'm new to megane (265 Cup) ownership so sorry if this is a common/easy question...

Headed out this morning and all was normal, about 2 mins down the road I pulled away from some lights (gently) and there was a loud clunk, sounding like it was from the front left. Thought it was a pothole and didn't think much of it.

Carried on the journey (cruising around 70 on mway) and noticed that a lot more noise was coming from the engine than usual. Got to the end of motorway and went to pull away from sliproad roundabout and again a clunk when changing from 2-3, but *seemed* to pull ok (obvs wasn't ragging it).

Parked it up and started it again a bit later and now it sounds like a black cab... so it's off until I can work out wtf happened!

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

2. Might be the notoriously undersized bolt for the left gearbox mount that's snapped... You have to remove the battery and battery box to check on it, which is a bit of a faf

3. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

But didnt the late 265 and 275's have the uprated bolts ????

4. Pretty sure that the bolts are the same, but the mount is different.

5. Thanks, I'll have a look into it when the snow stops.

Is there an improved/approved aftermarket bolt?