Clunking noise from the front driver side...

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by CraigH, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Hi Guys,

Getting a bit of a clunk/knocking noise from the front driver side of the car when i'm driving, noticing it more when setting off/at slow speeds and it sounds like its coming from the wheel well... I've had the suspension checked and any mounts in the area to see if its a worn mount or suspension component but can't really find any play in anything. Any ideas what else could be checked? I was thinking possibly steering column or even the front right brake setup at this point.

Thanks all

2. I’ve noticed this on my 250 on the drivers side. Can’t pinpoint anything when having a look.

3. Anti rotation link seems to be a common issue on these cars

Gareth likes this.
  4. Anti rotation seems most likely. You don’t realise how bad they are until you take them off and feel the play in them

Gareth likes this.
  5. Yeah from doing further research on here it is probably more than likely the above.
    Are they easy it do yourself?

6. Yes they are easy to do, jack it up wheel off and undo the two nuts, you might have to beat it out with a hammer, depending how long they have been in there.

Gareth likes this.
  7. Thanks Ian,
    I’ve seen some videos on YouTube and looks very simple in principle. It’ll no doubt be a nightmare as I don’t think they’ve been replaced since new. Especially if the caliper pins are anything to go by.

8. Caliper pins are a nightmare at the best of times, you need to knock them out and back in at least 2-3 times a year :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Give them a spray up for a couple of days before and have a hammer handy, where they fit in the lower arms will be the worst to get out.

Gareth likes this.
  9. Indeed! I found that out 3 months ago when I replaced the front brakes. Will be due to be taken out and checked soon ha.

10. i go through about 3 sets of pads a year so that's mine sorted :laughing::laughing:

11. Hi guys,

I have a similar noise issue on the front right hand side (LHD vehicle in my case), could not find a solution so far though I changed a couple of suspension bits. I hear the clunk noise only when driving slowly over tram lines, unpaved surface with small pot holes or sudden changes in the road surface where the wheel travel is high and immediate. No noise when going over speed bumps, undulating road surface or slow wheel travel.

For some history, one year back the noise was more present and disturbing. At Renault dealer's advice, first thing I changed were the front struts + top suspension mounts. That fixed most of the noise occurrences but not all of them. Next, I changed anti-roll bar links, anti-rotation links - again cured the noise a bit more but there are still times when the clunk is present as I explained above.

Dealer did suspension checks and says nothing is wrong which is very annoying. Next bits I was thinking to change are ARB bushes. Car is 60k Kms, some track time just in the first 10k. Any advice would be appreciated.

12. Ball joints?

13. almost certainly lower ball joints
    do yourself favour and use a reputable independent reno fitter