Clonky 5th gear

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Jaysport, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Afternoon all , so last week thought I would change the master cylinder on the clutch of my 225 f1 , gave up and the gargage confirmed I actually needed a new clutch and flywheel so this was all done . Had to go back because it was sticking a bit , 1 extra bleed and it sorted that , now when I drive the car change up Into 6th it's fine but coming down into 5th I have to literally push it into gear , all others work fine ,

has anyone had similar or any advise on this

cheers

2. Just an update in this last post , the garage have said they think its the 5th gear selector that is faulty ,
    I'm a bit confused as the car went in driving ok selecting every he's fine , I didn't even realise the clutch was shot until he showed me it , so how can the selector suddenly be faulty ?

3. Hi again guys, just wondering if anyone can help with this, the garage called today and said he thinks it is defiantly the 5th gear selector,
    just seems strange how it went in the garage without the issue now after new clutch the selector has failed.
    Could this be possible ,

4. It does seem a bit strange tbh but i suppose it is possible bits can break at any time.

How well do you know/ trust the garage? as personally i'd be thinking they bodged/ broke something during the clutch change although you'd never be able to prove it.

I know Renaults first port of call is to normally change the gear selector cables for most gearbox problems, i take it there all as they should be?

No crunching or anything when you have to push it in to gear?

5. Cheers jones82, if I'm honest I don't no the garage from Adam, first time iv been there and at this rate will be the last, I'm going to get the car back tomorrow and will have a look myself and check everything over.
    Iv just read online that the linkage can be adjusted from the gear stick end, something about a 5mm spacer and 3rd gear then re connecting the linkage,

6. check there isn't anything blocking the linkage when you are putting it into gear, so cables the breather etc

7. Ok just an update . Spoke to the garage yesterday he tells me it is defiantly the gear selector Renault price £26 I replied that's cheap , he said it's only a brass ring ,? That's the synchro isn't it not selector ,
    so my mind is made up I'm getting car back from him tonight and will look at it myself . I'm more convinced it's going to be a bent / inched gear cable as it didn't have any of these issues until he took the box out