Clio RS250

Discussion in 'Other Projects' started by Bilkos, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Negative bit first. Bought as a Clio 197 CAT C for track day car. Damage really wasn't that bad, (got all the pics as proof of damage). Once car was put back together, I just wanted to keep driving it, it was that good and so sold my BM, and this has been my daily for over 2 years now. Aside from the bumper, the cars never been painted in repairing it.

Soon needed more power, and after trying to get more BHP out of the NA engine, decided to go down the FI route. Together with a local garage (SC Auto), we started the project of fitting the 250 Megane engine in the Clio. Think its the first Clio with the 250 engine. Subsequently, the garage has now done a number of 225 conversions and is currently working on doing another 250 in a Clio.

The engine had only gone 6k, and has been fitted in the car for about a year now. The car is used daily.

The cars been mapped by RS Tuning, and makes 305 bhp 340 ft/lb. With some work on the fueling, I'll will see 320+bhp. Im just putting a modified pump together so that will def help. Only thing that doesn't work is the VVT (we've not quite worked that out yet), the Megane anti-dazzle review mirror, which needs to be powered. Every other function (aircon, cruise control, alarm...) works as it should do.

Had it on the track but had real problems with ambient heat of a hot day. That will be sorted through a more efficient but smaller IC. That aside, its been absolutely fine. Car was never a 'cheque book or CC car'. Its been great fun sourcing the parts for good money, and like most good projects, that is equally part of the fun. If modifying the sender and pump works, will be another relatively cheaper option.

Must admit though, might be time for a new project...anyway the spec.

Spec
    Megane 250 Engine (308bhp)

630cc injectors
    Custom Air intake
    Sprayshack engine cover
    R26 diff gearbox
    200 diffuser
    Comp Mo's 18'
    200 Yellow clocks
    Meg Sunglasses case
    Cup Racer spoiler
    Front splitter
    Tunepoint
    Front Recaros re-covered
    Armrest
    Alcantara steering wheel
    Supersprint Exhaust
    KW Clubsport (been on the car 6 months)
    PF's 330mm
    Pro friction pads

IMG_09071_zps2f75815c.jpg

IMG_09141_zps7372f06a.jpg

IMG_09121_zps2052a042.jpg

8929666602_6153c789ec_h_zpsd5c673df.jpg

IMG_0961_zps6bcfed17.jpg

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
    Nick20171991 likes this.
  2. That's one awesome build bud :wink:

3. Really nice, quality car. Didnt know you could get the comp mo's in 18", temping me now!
    Strange how the VVT doesn't work though?

4. Hello Wilson lovely car bud

5. Thanks as usual gents for your positive comments. On the VVT front, the ECU is Meg R26 which don't run VVT.

6. Uch.. this car is so awesome. I want it.

7. Possible to use the Megane RS250 ecu, as they have vvt?

8. Power of the meg with agility of the clio, must be some car on track.

9. Nah, Meg and Clio ECU's not dissimilar which means you retain all the functions of the Clio..air con, cruise control, immobilizer. Meg 250 completely different.

10. Wow, that allot for a clio

11. Really like this! Nice car buddy.

12. I am sure you want to swap with my R26R.

13. Hope u r joking

14. Yes!!.

15. Its a long way for me to drive to knock some sense in to you : )

16. He's probably got his eye on an 800bhp corsa, you never know with Arthur lol

17. Had the car up for sale, but couldn't get the asking price so its here for another summer. Gonna keep going with the mods. Need to paint the front wheels due to PF pads, and get some sticky tyres. Finally sorted the fuel system so can now look to mapping it. Been offered an hybrid, so need to think where do I want to be with this car. If the fuelings right, could see 330bhp, hybrid might take it to 350'ish. Not sure if I'm just willy waving as at 308 bhp, I'm struggling for traction anyway, and at those figures, things might start breaking......

I think 330 bhp / 360 ftlb is more than enough in a clio......

18. Really nice car. Well done.

19. This is how Renault should have made it!

20. That's some car did you get vrt working and how much was it for sale for pm me

21. Seen this car 3 weeks ago, looked a serious bit of kit I must say.

22. I ment the vvt

23. Really happy with the car. I use it daily and it never misses a beat. Would like to overhaul all the brakes, pads and brake lines at some point. Also hopefully fitting a 2.75' link pipe and centre section to the rear supersprint. Currently its the standard 225 2.5' pipework.

Recently fitted a 3' air intake pipe which is any improvement of the 2.5' pipe.

[​IMG]

Plan is still to hopefully see 330 bhp

24. Whats the airfilter you've put on it?

25. 100mm neck pipercross foam filter

26. Do you get much heat soak using that? Don't think I have seen a meg with a filter there.

27. Nope, and you wont have seen one there on a meg cause its in a clio.....

28. I have gathered that! The only reason I ask is because the clio has smaller engine bay so should also suffer and wondered if anyone here could give a serious answer to why they aren't commonly seen on a meg!

Don't know why folk on here feels the need to reply sarcastically to questions!

29. Unless he's tracking the car it probably doesn't get to the point where heat soak is an issue, but afaik on the Meg filters don't do much if anything and to scrap the airbox would negate a lot of the design and routing for air as from standard cold air flows up from the floor behind the passenger headline straight into the airbox bypassing any/most hot parts of the engine.

30. Thanks for that. Explains alot!!

31. Wasnt being, just didnt think you noticed.....

32. Am I correct thinking this is Litchy ? With a new forum name ...

33. New forum, new name.....

34. Cat c turd after many offers is still here. Too great a car to let go cheap. The fun of 350 torques in the clio is very addictive . Think keep it a while, pay daughter and son through uni and in summer think again. Must admit there really aren't that many cars I'd get into debt for, and I blame that on the Clio cause it's cheap and quick. M3 continues to call me but I've lost my bottle as I spend most of the time thinking what if it goes wrong?

Cat C turd might get the pleasure of a hybrid turbo in Easter. Might see over 330+bhp and anyone with a set of PF 330mm discs, let me know.

35. What does your local garage think of putting a 225 engine in an R5 GTT . . .

36. I have seen it done before iirc and in a 182.

37. Seen it done in an R5? Would like some info. on that . . .

I had a Mk1 Clio with an R5 GTT engine so if the engine 'fits' in a Clio 182 then . . . ??

38. Yes, I'll ask renault uk for pics on that r5 hold tight! It does fit in the 182 but it would be rather custom I can imagine i.e ECU, driveshafts, engine mounting points etc.

and I can ask my mechanic if you are genuinely interested he did my clio 197 225 conversion and build Savages 500bhp clio :smile:.

39. Cool be nice to see some pics . . .

If you could get a bit of info. on roughly whats involved I'd be interested.

Yeah I can't see it being a straight swap! Bespoke wiring loom, drive shafts and mounts.

What kind of work was involved in your transplant?

40. Regarding the R5, it was a f4r lump that was turbo'd. This was the only pic I could get off the lads facebook. 10393151_247965958725316_2152558740029271791_n.jpg

My transplant is rather straight forward, megane 225 engine drops straight in the 197. You can use either box with megane drive shafts.
    Only tricky bit is wiring and taking the immobiliser out the megane ecu, not cheap in labour though lol.